Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to improve my serum iron level?

Answered by
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 35 year old female. I have been experiencing a rigorous hair fall. I am also feeling tired and dizzy. My skin and hair has become very rough and dry. Also the blood loss during periods is excessive. I got my blood tests done six months back and my serum iron was 36. My doctor had put me on an Iron supplement named Solfe for 6 months. I got my serum iron and vitamin D tested again. I have attached all the reports for your reference. My serum iron is still the same and it has not improved at all. Also, I get bruises on my body randomly. My thyroid levels are normal. Can you advise why my serum iron is not increasing, though my Hb is 11.9? My transferritin saturation is also low. Can this cause severe hair loss? Please advise a solution for my problem.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology


Welcome to

Based on your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

  • Serum iron has improved and is almost near normal. The body is using up iron to prepare RBC (red blood cell) and in other activities. Hence, improvement of serum iron will take longer.
  • The hemoglobin is almost near normal limits and once it goes above 13 g%, the serum iron will improve.
  • Difficult to comment about bruises or increased bleeding, as platelet count is not in the attached report. Platelet count and if possible an image of the bruise would be more helpful.
  • Hair fall, the usual principal cause is malnutrition. You need to increase the protein in the diet. Also, dry skin could be due to low hydration. You need to take at least 6 to 8 liters of water per day to improve hydration.
  • Also, do let me know, if any trichologist has evaluated hair fall and found any cause such as dandruff, any infections, allergic reactions to hair gels, etc.

Investigations to be done:

Platelet count and endometrial biopsy.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the images and reports to a hematologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is hair fall common after a surgery?
I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?
How can I cure dry skin around my lips that is peeling off?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I developed itchy and dry skin after dyeing hair in salon. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my skin condition. I have developed a really itchy and dry skin after I dyed my hair. Here are the symptoms. I do not know what the condition is as my appointment is months away. Can I attach pictures?  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.