Q. How to improve my serum iron level?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I am a 35 year old female. I have been experiencing a rigorous hair fall. I am also feeling tired and dizzy. My skin and hair has become very rough and dry. Also the blood loss during periods is excessive. I got my blood tests done six months back and my serum iron was 36. My doctor had put me on an Iron supplement named Solfe for 6 months. I got my serum iron and vitamin D tested again. I have attached all the reports for your reference. My serum iron is still the same and it has not improved at all. Also, I get bruises on my body randomly. My thyroid levels are normal. Can you advise why my serum iron is not increasing, though my Hb is 11.9? My transferritin saturation is also low. Can this cause severe hair loss? Please advise a solution for my problem.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• Serum iron has improved and is almost near normal. The body is using up iron to prepare RBC (red blood cell) and in other activities. Hence, improvement of serum iron will take longer.
  • The hemoglobin is almost near normal limits and once it goes above 13 g%, the serum iron will improve.
  • Difficult to comment about bruises or increased bleeding, as platelet count is not in the attached report. Platelet count and if possible an image of the bruise would be more helpful.
  • Hair fall, the usual principal cause is malnutrition. You need to increase the protein in the diet. Also, dry skin could be due to low hydration. You need to take at least 6 to 8 liters of water per day to improve hydration.
  • Also, do let me know, if any trichologist has evaluated hair fall and found any cause such as dandruff, any infections, allergic reactions to hair gels, etc.

Platelet count and endometrial biopsy.

Revert back with the images and reports to a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|