Q. How to improve my serum iron level?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I am a 35 year old female. I have been experiencing a rigorous hair fall. I am also feeling tired and dizzy. My skin and hair has become very rough and dry. Also the blood loss during periods is excessive. I got my blood tests done six months back and my serum iron was 36. My doctor had put me on an Iron supplement named Solfe for 6 months. I got my serum iron and vitamin D tested again. I have attached all the reports for your reference. My serum iron is still the same and it has not improved at all. Also, I get bruises on my body randomly. My thyroid levels are normal. Can you advise why my serum iron is not increasing, though my Hb is 11.9? My transferritin saturation is also low. Can this cause severe hair loss? Please advise a solution for my problem.

#

Based on your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• Serum iron has improved and is almost near normal. The body is using up iron to prepare RBC (red blood cell) and in other activities. Hence, improvement of serum iron will take longer.
  • The hemoglobin is almost near normal limits and once it goes above 13 g%, the serum iron will improve.
  • Difficult to comment about bruises or increased bleeding, as platelet count is not in the attached report. Platelet count and if possible an image of the bruise would be more helpful.
  • Hair fall, the usual principal cause is malnutrition. You need to increase the protein in the diet. Also, dry skin could be due to low hydration. You need to take at least 6 to 8 liters of water per day to improve hydration.
  • Also, do let me know, if any trichologist has evaluated hair fall and found any cause such as dandruff, any infections, allergic reactions to hair gels, etc.

Platelet count and endometrial biopsy.

Revert back with the images and reports to a hematologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

I developed itchy and dry skin after dyeing hair in salon. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my skin condition. I have developed a really itchy and dry skin after I dyed my hair. Here are the symptoms. I do not know what the condition is as my appointment is months away. Can I attach pictures?  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now