Q. Why there is a variation in pulse during walking and at rest?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

I am 28 year old. My sugar level is normal, TSH is 2.91 and cholesterol is 203. I am facing a problem with my pulse rate. It is between 115-120 when I walk or do any activity. But when I am in rest, it ranges between 80-100. I feel lightheadedness when I walk. Is it normal?

#

Cholesterol is in upper borderline. It will come down with low cholesterol diet and exercise daily. Heart rate more than 100 while walking is fine. From your history lightheadedness is the only problem.

Is this lightheadedness significant? Do you feel like falling or black out? Monitor your BP (blood pressure) while feeling lightheaded. Measure your BP while sitting followed by standing after three minutes. Sometimes people have positional hypotension.

Also, do a Holter monitoring (24 hour ECG) with normal activity whole day. So, we can see your heart rhythm pattern while lightheadedness and rapid heart rate.

I also monitored my BP. It is normal and lightheadedness is not like falling or black out. I walk and run easily.

#

Fine, that is great. I think there is no need to worry.

Do jogging 30 minutes every day and control your weight (BMI 23- 25). If heart rate is like palpitations, means you can feel over chest at least do a normal ECG first. Later we can think of Holter. Reduce cholesterol containing foods from your diet such as ghee, butter, cheese and non-vegetarian foods.

|