Q. I have joint pain and stiffness with a familial history of lupus. Do I have lupus?

Dr. Rahul Kackar

I am seeking a second opinion. I have symptoms of lupus and sarcoidosis. Both are in my immediate family. My blood test has some abnormalities but tested negative for lupus. I have joint pain in my wrist and knees, with stiffness in my hands, elbow, and shoulders. I am fatigued and unable to sleep. I am also losing hair. I have done CBC and urine analysis.

I am currently on Synthroid 100 mcg, Astrovastatin 80 mg, Celebrex as needed, and Amlodipine 5 mg.

#

Since how long are you having these pains? How is your gut health? What is your level of stress? Do you have ANA, ANTI-DS DNA report? Have you tried HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine sulfate) or Sulfasalazine for these pains? With medication, you will require a proper dietary evaluation. Are you practicing any meditation and mindfulness techniques? Any course of steroids been taken?

I have had this pain for about four months that is gradually becoming worse. I was diagnosed with IBS-D but have not had a flare-up for about eight months. My stress levels are high. The ANA report was negative, according to the physician. No, I have not tried those medications for pain. I am trying affirmations and meditation for my stress levels. Over a month ago, I was given Decadron 4 mg for five days and felt great. After five days without the steroid, I began feeling terrible again.

#

Try to do intermittent fasting 16:8. Avoid all processed foods, bread, pasta, and pizzas. Take more veggies, fruits, and berries. Have a good sleep, do HIIT (high-intensity interval training) for 20-25 minutes daily. Take probiotics and some fiber in your diet. Avoid milk and chilies. A course of Rifaximin for five days will be good.

Affirmations are fine, but they will strengthen the mental activity. It would help if you got the mental chatter down as any mental noise is stress. I will suggest reading some books on positive thinking. For 15 days, make a diary of all the symptoms without labeling the symptoms but write what you are feeling and what you are calling pain. Get into community service or a hobby. While following this, take a painkiller as needed. Oil massage your body for 10 minutes on your own using mustard or olive oil after exercise.

Let me know after 15 days.

|