Q. My dad lost interest in all activities and behaves aggressively after death of my uncle. Why?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2020

My father is 77 years old. He is showing the following symptoms loss of interest in reading newspaper (he was very fond of), anger, aggressiveness, and shouting. He cried a lot on the death of his brother-in-law who was 70 years old and sick, self-doubt about his health with restlessness.

He was having urinary infection, tested, and given antibiotic and now he is passing urine normally. He is having a problem with passing stools with occasional fever.

#

Your father seems to have a major depressive disorder. He needs to start antidepressant medications. He can take the tablet Escitalopram 10 mg once in the morning after breakfast. If he has sleep disturbance then he needs to start tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg at night.

Even there is non-pharmacological management for depression. If he can do exercise then he should do exercises daily for 30 - 45 minutes like at least going for a walk. Your father should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, just sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts, just let it be.

He should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods, and should spend quality time with his friends and family daily or do video calls if they are living away from him.

He can spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills. He should take enough 7-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse. You must give him a reason to live his life.

How long he needs to take these medications?

#

He needs to take these medications for at least 15 days at present and then need to follow up. He may need to increase the dose or adjust the dose of medication as per his response. Once he gets stable on medication after that day or dose, he needs to continue the medication for at least 6 months. After that, we can taper off and stop the medication.

|