Q. I have an itchy throat with no other symptoms. Can it be a COVID-19 infection?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2021

I am 43 years old. I am have a itchy throat, and rarely once a day I get a cough due to it for the last four days. I do not have a fever, cold, running nose, or any pain in the throat while swallowing. I have not had any contact with a COVID-19 positive patient. I am at my home only. I gargle with salt thrice a day. Kindly give some advice.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

It can be due to common flu or throat infection caused by other bacterial infections, so do not worry, as you have mentioned that you were not in contact with a COVID-19 positive patient. You can take the following medicines

• Tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Potassium Clavulanate) 625 mg three times a day after meal.
  • Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before meal.

Take them for five days, and let me know after it. If you develop any other symptoms, please let me know immediately. Continue gargling every four hours. Do you have redness in your mouth or difficulty in swallowing? Let me know. Thank you.

Infection.

CBC (complete blood count)

Viral flu.

Sore throat.

Tablet Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily.
Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily.
For five days.

Avoid drinking cold drinks.
Do gargle.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have difficulty swallowing or redness in my mouth.

#

If you have no difficulty swallowing or redness, then it is a sore throat (pharyngitis). So it will be fine. In addition, take tablet Vitamin B complex once daily after dinner. And let me know your condition after five days. Kindly do CBC (complete blood count) and send reports. If anything else is needed, I will add accordingly after investigations. Thank you.

|