Q. I stopped watching porn 15 days back. Why am I having panic attacks and intrusive thoughts?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2021

I am a psychiatric patient diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I am taking Fluoxamine 150 mg, Risperidone 1 mg and Clonazepam 0.5 mg. I am watching porn for 18 years. Recently I stopped it 15 days back and after that, I am not feeling well. I am having panic attacks, crying a lot, guilty feelings, PTSD, and OCD with intrusive thoughts. Watching porn usually increases dopamine and Risperidone is an antagonist of dopamine. Is this causing problem? I am having palpitations, resting heart rate around 120 beats per minute, chest pain, tightness in the chest, and heavy breathing. What to do?

#

Please mention the reason for taking Risperidone. It is an antipsychotic used mainly for psychotic symptoms. If you do not have any psychotic symptoms, then you can stop taking them. You have watched porn for years and so you may have withdrawal symptoms. You need to change your schedule and start to live a healthy life. Do exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes with walking. Do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid taking junk foods. Spend some quality time with your friends and family. Spend time on creative hobbies like reading books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments. Have a good sleep for seven to eight hours daily. Avoid drinking alcohol or tobacco or substance abuse.

|