Q. What can cause brain stroke symptoms, memory loss, and hearing problems?

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

The patient has brain stroke symptoms, rash, numbness, severe headaches, memory loss, struggle to walk, issues at the base of the back of the neck, and hearing loss. It has been ongoing for seven months. She had three ambulance trips to the hospital with MRI, CT scans, and blood tests. She may get two or three days of being self-sufficient 75%, but then face will drop, and mobility is gone. Usually, it lasts for a few days if all goes well. Basically, she is bedridden, unable to function. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I understand your query. Is there anything like seizures, difficulty in vision, any stress, or any past psychological issues? How and when it started the first time? Were you able to identify any triggering factors?

Please answer the questions and attach the reports so that I can guide you accordingly.

No previous medical issues. She was ten years in an abusive relationship, but for seven years, she has moved on. She is on Meloxicam 15 mg tablets currently but has not been told why and does not know why. Her words are, ‘I feel like I am slowly dying every day. She would be having seizures, face drop, cannot walk, hurts to move, hearing loss, and little lumps on the left-hand side of the head just above the ear. One and a half to two times a week, she uses to have them. On her past three visits to the hospital, she has been released within days with no information. She is suffering immensely. Her deteriorating condition is visible to those that know her. I assume the hospital has all the information. Kindly guide me.

#

I understand the situation. In the future, please do have a copy of all the health checkups, blood investigations, and radiological investigations reports, which may often be useful in several situations. Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, typically given for reducing inflammation, swelling, and associated pain. It is to be given only for the short term and not for long-term use. The symptoms may be associated with post-traumatic stress disorder and mild functional decline.

I suggest you follow my advice given below:

1) Reassurance. Always reassure her that she is fine and alright.

2) Be very supportive to her. Have a nice word every day with her. Always make her remember that she has more happy years to be spent.

3) Keep the ambiance positive. Can play soft and nature-based music at house. It will keep the mind calm and being positive.

4) Indulge her in some housework.

5) Include meditation and yoga in her daily routine. Spare a minimum of 30 minutes in the morning and evening for it.

6) Try to include mild exercise daily.

7) Include food rich in nutrients like Vitamin D, Vitamin B complex, and Omega 3 fatty acids. All these help in improving the central nervous system. Avoid spicy and junk food.

8) Include a cup of green tea twice daily. It contains Flavonoids and L-Theanine, which help in improving brain function.

9) Stay hydrated.

10) Take fresh fruits and have fresh fruit juices like kiwi, pomegranate, apple, sweet lime, lemon. All these enhance the capability of the general functioning of the body.

11) Can take Multivitamin tablet containing Vitamin D, Vitamin B Complex, Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C daily morning after food for three months.

12) Can take Ashwagandha in the form of a capsule or tablet if available in your country daily night after dinner for three months. (Ashwagandha is known to improve the functioning of the central nervous system along with other numerous health benefits).

13) Have hot milk with turmeric, pepper, and ginger at night. It helps in improving general immunity.

14) Avoid coffee.

15) Can have a warm bath twice a day with aroma containing soap.

16) Try to avoid being in bed always.

17) Have a routine health checkup once a year.

Do health checkup once in a year (fasting and postprandial blood sugar, complete blood count, thyroid function tests, liver function tests, renal function tests, lipid profile, complete urine analysis, ECG (electrocardiogram), USG (ultrasonography) whole abdomen, cervical PAP (Papanicolaou test) smear, mammogram, etc.).

I hope this was helpful. Please get back when you need help.

|