iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologysevere fatigueWhat should I do to correct iron and vitamin D deficiency?

What supplements can be taken to correct iron and vitamin D deficiency?

What supplements can be taken to correct iron and vitamin D deficiency?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 5, 2017
Reviewed AtDecember 21, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My daughter is eight years old, and we found out at the end of last month that she had low iron due to fainting episodes. She has been on a liquid iron supplement that she takes with a glass of orange juice, since the start of this month. However, her iron levels have continued to drop even after taking the supplements. She is constantly fatigued and sleeps half the time. We also discovered that she is vitamin D deficient. The doctor has referred her to a specialist but they also asked to continue what we have been doing until now. We have been doing this for two months with the opposite of our desired results.

Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your query and understood your concern.

According to the history provided, fatigue, sleepiness, low energy are the main complaints. Let me tell you that in the attached reports (attachments removed to protect patient's identity), serum ferritin, serum iron, hemoglobin level, WBC (white blood cell) counts, and platelet count, all are within limit. It does not look abnormal. So her iron deficiency anemia seems to be improving. But weakness is still present. Hence, neurological examination and all reflexes should be checked. Investigation with serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and T4 (thyroxine) estimation is strongly recommended to rule out thyroid issues.

Check her electrolytes levels, serum sodium, calcium, and potassium. For low vitamin D level, I suggest cholecalciferol sachet should be taken with milk. Check liver and kidney profile also as their disorders can also lead to chronic weakness. If the cause is not identified, then, the muscular dystrophy-like muscular disorder has to be ruled out by EMG (electromyography).

Consult nearby pediatrician doctor for examination and accordingly further work up can be planned (keeping my answer in mind).

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks and regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy