Q. I get recurrent stomach pain, especially at night. Please help.

Dr. Kapil Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

It looks like my stomach is upset for the last couple of days. The rate of pain is 6/10, and it is going back and forth. I always feel it at night when I am about to sleep. I feel like there is something wrong with it again. A couple of months ago, I had a check-up, and the doctor then advised me to take medicines for a week. I can no longer remember the medicine, but it worked. I did not feel the pain for a couple of months, but now it came back. I am 57 years old and currently taking my maintenance medicine for my hypertension.

#

The various cause of stomach pain can be stomach infection, renal stones, irritable bowel syndrome, gastritis, cholecystitis, etc.

To figure out, I would like you to answer a few questions:

Do you have any fever, loose stools, or diarrhea? Do you have any pain while passing urine or stomach pain after or before meals? Does the pain radiate elsewhere?

I would like you to get the following investigations done:

1. USG abdomen.

2. Renal and liver function tests.

In the meanwhile, you can start the following medicines:

1. Tablet Meftal spas (Dicyclomine 10 mg + Mefenamic acid 250 mg) sos when the pain is present.

2. Tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg two times a day for five days.

3. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily on an empty stomach.

Ultrasound abdomen. Renal function tests. Liver function tests.

Follow up with the test results.

|