Q. What is the list of tests used to detect the cause for swollen and reddish lower lip?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 22-year-old female. I generally have good health, but I was diagnosed with herpes simplex when I was 17. I never had any cold sores on my face, but recently I have seen not a rash but redness and swelling underneath my bottom lip. I do not have a primary doctor, and I cannot get seen for a while. I think it may be an infection either caused by bacteria or yeast. The last time when I received oral sex from my partner, I came down with a yeast infection a few days later. My boyfriend is starting devolving the redness underneath his lips as well, but he is way worse. We intentionally thought it was from the lotion and discontinued its use, but I realize that is not the case. I am currently having Acyclovir and Vitamin C.

#

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a swollen and reddish lower lip. You had a history of herpes simplex infection when you were 17 years old. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here, your swollen and reddish lower lip may result from various health conditions such as infections caused by sexually transmitted diseases or STDs. People can pass on through oral sex like gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, human papillomavirus, herpes simplex or fungal infections, allergies or irritants, drug reactions, trauma or injury, and many more. So it is very difficult to predict the exact underlying causes for your swollen and reddish lower lip without undergoing some investigations. Some investigations like full STDs panel test, biopsy of the affected area, skin prick test, RAST (radioallergosorbent test), CBC (complete blood count) with a peripheral blood film, etc., will help determine the specific cause for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly. In the meantime, you can take oral antihistamines along with your currently using medications like Acyclovir and vitamin C. Take care. In case of any other query ask me.

|