Q. What is the list of tests used to detect the cause for swollen and reddish lower lip?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 22-year-old female. I generally have good health, but I was diagnosed with herpes simplex when I was 17. I never had any cold sores on my face, but recently I have seen not a rash but redness and swelling underneath my bottom lip. I do not have a primary doctor, and I cannot get seen for a while. I think it may be an infection either caused by bacteria or yeast. The last time when I received oral sex from my partner, I came down with a yeast infection a few days later. My boyfriend is starting devolving the redness underneath his lips as well, but he is way worse. We intentionally thought it was from the lotion and discontinued its use, but I realize that is not the case. I am currently having Acyclovir and Vitamin C.



Welcome to

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a swollen and reddish lower lip. You had a history of herpes simplex infection when you were 17 years old. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here, your swollen and reddish lower lip may result from various health conditions such as infections caused by sexually transmitted diseases or STDs. People can pass on through oral sex like gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, human papillomavirus, herpes simplex or fungal infections, allergies or irritants, drug reactions, trauma or injury, and many more. So it is very difficult to predict the exact underlying causes for your swollen and reddish lower lip without undergoing some investigations. Some investigations like full STDs panel test, biopsy of the affected area, skin prick test, RAST (radioallergosorbent test), CBC (complete blood count) with a peripheral blood film, etc., will help determine the specific cause for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly. In the meantime, you can take oral antihistamines along with your currently using medications like Acyclovir and vitamin C. Take care. In case of any other query ask me.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the frequency to do HIV testing while taking PEP?

.. to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient w...   Read full

Please explain about the CMIA test for HIV testing.

.. the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of e...   Read full

The CSW had some white patches near her vagina. Should I get tested for HIV?

.. noted your concern. Protected sex is safe and there is no risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Regards. For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> .. ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.