Q. I feel as if my stool does not come out completely. Please help me.

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am a 22 year old male, and I have an unusual problem of bowel movements. Every morning, I feel I have incomplete motion. I cannot say it is constipation, but the stool does not come out completely. Even after defecating, I still have an urge to defecate more. Then after taking breakfast and coffee, I need to hit the bathroom again. And the same problem repeats after evening coffee. Kindly help me with a quick solution. Thank you.

#

Thank you for your question.

• The feeling of an incomplete bowel movement that you describe is called tenesmus in medicine. Tenesmus, as well as urgency, has quite a few possible causes, but by far the most common is the irritable and inflammatory bowel syndromes.
  • Irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that it is only diagnosed once more serious causes like the inflammatory bowel diseases (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease) have been excluded, typically by doing a colonoscopy and biopsy. The symptoms of these three syndromes can overlap and cannot be readily differentiated just based on the history and blood tests.
  • A colonoscopy is always needed to be performed by a gastroenterologist to ensure the correct diagnosis is made so that correct treatment can be given.
  • Typical symptoms are often tenesmus, urgency, bloatedness, cramps, diarrhea or constipation, intolerance to certain foods like spicy foods, milk products, blood in stools, etc. Although only a few symptoms can be present in some.
  • It is not possible to make an accurate diagnosis and exclude important causes like ulcerative colitis or Crohn's, which need long-term management by a specialist, without doing a colonoscopy. Certain things might improve your symptoms, but one should never treat something without knowing what you are treating first. 

I would definitely advise you to make an appointment with a local gastroenterologist for workup and possible colonoscopy.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|