Q. Are there any medications to reduce my long term tinnitus problem?

Answered by
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 19, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have had tinnitus for five to seven years now. I had suffered a lot during the initial years as there was no solution and doctors had to control using anti-depressants. I am on a regular low dose of Escitalopram even now. My tinnitus is a very shrill sound and has no trigger or cause and is constant. I had done audiometry and there was a slight loss of hearing in one ear.

Lately, I chanced to read up on some forums and have found that there are various medications that are being tried for tinnitus. Tinnicar, Ginko Biloba, Complamina Retard SR, etc.

Can you suggest in your opinion what I should take to reduce or end the tinnitus? What dosage and for how long? And for Ginko Biloba which is the best brand?

My other problem is, I have a sinus problem. Due to cold exposure such as sleeping under an A/C, I get stuffed sinus congestion. I can feel some liquid behind my cheeks when I jump up and down and my nose and my ears are blocked. This is not very troubling. However, this causes a loud buzzing sound in my left ear which is what gets me terrified because of my already existing sinus problem. The sinus stuffiness and buzzing stays for a few days (even if the nose blockage and stuffiness goes away). It takes a few days and I have seen that exposure to heat and hot areas makes the buzzing subside quicker.

However, even after the buzzing sound is gone my tinnitus gets and stays louder than normal for an additional few more days. This used to happen regularly every few weeks. However, now it has become a constant problem. I have a constant buzzing in my ear. I went to an ENT and was prescribed Lukotas, Tinnicar and Xylometazoline drops. However, I wanted your second opinion. Should I take something like Solvin to relieve pressure (again read from similar cases in forums)?

Note: In my childhood, I can recollect that I had a similar "Sinus congestion" a couple of times and the doctors had drained my sinus using a syringe put in through my nose.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your tinnitus problem could be due to sinusitis, which blocks the eustachian tube and causes tinnitus. But if the tinnitus is due to sinus problem it should subside with decongestants, etc. In your case, I do not think so that your ear problem is due to sinusitis. To rule out that we need to get audiometry and tympanometry done. Also, let me know if you are on any medication or if you are exposed to loud sounds.

I do not support multivitamin supplements for tinnitus. But you can take any of them for a month and see if symptom improves then you can take for a longer time. But again we will need an audiometry test.

For recurrent sinusitis, you should get a nasal endoscopy done. If needed CT (computed tomography) scan of nose and paranasal sinuses also. Only then we will know the severity of the disease.

Thank you doctor,

Just to elaborate further. There were actually two problems that I had mentioned above.

Tinnitus - I do have Tinnitus which has persisted for many years now. For that, I have asked your guidance for any medication that you can suggest, given that there are newer treatments in the market now.

Then there is a separate more recent problem that of recurring sinusitis, which is aggravating my tinnitus. I have already done a nasal endoscopy. The doctor simply mentioned that the airways are very narrow, but no obstruction. I will proceed to do Audiometry, Tympanometry and a CT- PNS as you prescribed and get you the reports.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Yes, you please get your audiometry, tympanometry and CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses done and get back. Only then we will know the underlying pathology.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Tinnitus worsening mom's anxiety. What might help her?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is in a care home and is experiencing very loud tinnitus. She is becoming very stressed and anxious as this has been going on for months. We have asked her GP to help but it does not seem that anything can be done. She has had her ears cleared but this has not helped either. S...  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Diabetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.