Clogged Ears

How could herpes infection cause clogged ears and hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have clogged ears and pain from ears to the throat, vertigo, and always feeling confused. I had a sinus nasal drip which I thought that is why my ears where clogged it has been six weeks and it is still clogged, popping and painful. I saw an ENT and he said I had no fluid and there ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from clogged earaches with painful jaw joints and sore throat with vertigo and all these sufferings may result from herpes infection according to your assumption. When herpes affects th...  Read Full »

Can eustachian tube blockage be diagnosed using a sinus x-ray?

Query: Hello I have a couple of questions first can a sinus X-ray show if your Eustachian tube are closed or not. Or do the ent have to go up your nose to find out. I had a sinus infection and nasal drip my ears are clogged I went to my doctor he said I had fluid and an ear infection and sent me to a ent a...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Before I explain and answer your questions, I will take a little of your time to explain what has probably happend in your case. The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading...  Read Full »

Why do I feel clogged ears every morning even without wax formation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had issues with my left ear for the past two months. I normally clean my ears with peroxide. After I added drops of peroxide back last month, I noticed that when people spoke to me loudly I would hear wind sound in my ears. Also, my ears felt plugged and I heard thumping (hear...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like your having a eustachian tube catarrh. This tube essentially ventilates both the ear and nose and in an event where this tube has got blocked, you might develop fullness and ringing sensation in the same ear. Self-cleaning your ear is the most dangerous t...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for blocked ears with pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My ear has been blocked for the past three days. There are mild pain and discomfort. This could have been caused because of the earbud. I used Ciplox ear drops and have tried Crocin pain relief, but it does not help. Ear feels extremely uncomfortable, and hearing is muffled. Please su...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not necessarily have to be due to earbuds causing otitis externa though that could be one possibility. There are others also. Can you tell me if you had a cold recently? Does it feel like there is a fluid inside the ear? Do you feel like you need to pop your ...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic ear pain and blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an ear infection for about two years, but now my ears hurt very badly and feel like they are closing up. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iciniq.com. The reason for a chronic ear infection can be due to two reasons. 1. There is an abnormal permanent defect in your eardrum (such a hole which has not closed up due to the normal healing process) leading to recurrent ear infection and discharge. In some cases, superadded...  Read Full »

Why does my left ear hurts and sometimes itches?

Query: My left ear hurts. If i press the back of my ear, it would really hurt. Sometimes it feels itchy and throbbing. Also, it feels like it's clogged inside. Last month my other felt like this too, I had to take medication for it.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There are only 3 possibilities with the complaints you have mentioned. 1. Impacted wax in the left ear which is causing pain and a blocked feeling For this, you can use wax solvents which liquify the wax and resolve the issue 2. Infection involving your outer ear, which can be the cause of i...  Read Full »

My sinus problem is aggravating my tinnitus. What should I do now?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had tinnitus for five to seven years now. I had suffered a lot during the initial years as there was no solution and doctors had to control using anti-depressants. I am on a regular low dose of Escitalopram even now. My tinnitus is a very shrill sound and has no trigger or cause a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your tinnitus problem could be due to sinusitis, which blocks the eustachian tube and causes tinnitus. But if the tinnitus is due to sinus problem it should subside with decongestants, etc. In your case, I do not think so that your ear problem is due to sinusitis. To...  Read Full »

I have right ear infection and fullness with pain inside and behind it. Is this due to cholesteatoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had an ear infection (right ear) for the last several months, including fullness, pain in and behind the ear, and foul-smelling discharge. Recently I completed the 10 days dose of Ciprodex drops, and the discharge has cleared, but fullness and pain have not reduced. Recent hear...  Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the CT report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a residual soft tissue density in your right middle ear, likely granulation tissue. Additionally, there is right mastoid effusion, meaning air cells in the mastoid bone filled with f...  Read Full »

My daughter is diagnosed with middle ear infection. How to clear it up?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 17 years old. She had a cold for about four days when she started complaining of bad ear pain. She was seen in urgent care a week ago and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. The APRN noted her ear was pretty angry and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg. She is suppo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Complete the course of antibiotics. Take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin) once or twice a day, like how you have been taking for another three to four days. If Mucinex D has an antiallergic component then no need for Claritin or Allegra. Otherwise, add either of those to be ta...  Read Full »

Will oregano oil cause bacterial meningitis in ear?

Query: Hi doctor, I had clogged ears from sinus allergy congestion and my mom put a drop of oregano oil in my ear. It hurt horribly and was throbbing and burning my ear. I got my ear flushed out with water and got antibiotic drops. Could the oregano oil into my ear have caused permanent damage? Or caused...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before I answer your query I would like to give you a brief over view of the anatomy of our ear. Our ear consists of three main parts namely outer ear, middle ear, inner ear. The outer ear is separated from middle ear by our ear drum. That means that there is our ear dr...  Read Full »