Q. My vagina is dry and sore after using sanitary pads. Will this cause pain during sex?

Dr. Shivpal Saini
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I am a 21-year-old girl. Two weeks ago, after I finished my periods, I notice my vagina was irritated. This happened before when using sanitary napkins and took about two weeks to go. My vagina is sore and dry, but I noticed it hurting when I have intercourse with my boyfriend. The itching had gone, yet the pain is still there. And now I have symptoms of a UTI or kidney infection. I dont have any strange discharge and only recently sexually active. My boyfriend has no STI. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Just after the menstrual period, your vaginal mucosa is more friable, and it is not as much lubricant. So in that situation, you or your partner can use Lignocaine 2% jelly as a lubricating agent. It will provide a better experience, and you will not get pain during and after also. The second thing, having sex just after a period makes small ulcers on the vaginal mucosa, which leads to further UTI (urinary tract infection) and burning micturition. So in this situation, foreplay will also help. During foreplay, your vagina will secrets some indigenous lubricating agents, which leads to less ulceration and less infection. One more thing is, sometimes long time use of sanitary napkin also cause irritation over the labia majora and minora. So try some different brand sanitary napkins. If right now you are having UTI, then you have to take treatment for it. I suggest you take tablet Nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice daily for seven days. I hope this was helpful.

|