Q. I have space between teeth even after treatment with wire braces. What do I do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

About 5 years ago I had wire braces for my teeth.

And to have the braces on, I had 4 teeth extracted because my teeth were overcrowded.

As far as I know, a lot of orthodontists take out premolars to create space.

But for some reason my orthodontist took out 2 premolars, 1 molar on my bottom left and 1 molar on my top left.

I got my wisdom teeth removed on the bottom right.

So, I have only first molar and partly seen third molar on my bottom left side.

I was only 14 years at that time, so I really did not think much of it.

This has caused many jaw problems for me.

I have not chewed on my left side for the past five years.

I heard jaw problems can make my face look weird, as of now I have not noticed anything.

But I am worried that it might affect in the future.

Is there any way I could put a second molar in the bottom left?

I still have space where my bottom premolars were, could I move the molar with braces to fill in that space so that I will have space at the back to put on a an implant?

I just really want to fix the problem.

Please help.

#

Sometimes orthodontists do extract molars if there is very severe crowding of the teeth.

In your case, as you said there was severe crowding.

Now you have space present where the molars where previously present and hence you are unable to chew properly.

Is your second molar on the left side tilted or upright?

I assume that your second molar is upright.

There are 3 treatment plans for you:

• Since you are below 30 years you can try orthodontic treatment again to bring the second molar and wisdom tooth forward. But it would again take at least one year of continuous treatment. No need to do an implant behind these teeth later. Because implant in the position of third molar will not be of much use and dentists do not encourage it, as failure risk is high.
  • You can do an implant in the space which is present now, if your periodontal (gum health) status is good. 
  • You can do a ceramic bridge (cap) in the space present by using the support from the adjacent two teeth. 

For the best treatment option, attach an intraoral photograph of the upper and lower jaw and consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|