Difficulty In Chewing

Why do my temples get swollen when I chew hard food?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a swelling on the temple after chewing on hard food, for example, steak or candy. The swelling goes down after I stop eating, but the area feels numb for a long time after that. What can cause this? I have chronic urticaria and MGUS.   Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and will answer your concerns. The issues you mentioned are related to mastication (chewing). It is a process where you have to put a lot of energy, and the muscles of mastication are widely used. It seems there is some ne...  Read Full »

I have gaps between teeth after braces. Please help.

Query: Hello, About 5 years ago I had wire braces for my teeth. And to have the braces on, I had 4 teeth extracted because my teeth were overcrowded. As far as I know, a lot of orthodontists take out premolars to create space. But for some reason my orthodontist took out 2 premolars, 1 molar on my bottom l...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sometimes orthodontists do extract molars if there is very severe crowding of the teeth. In your case, as you said there was severe crowding. Now you have space present where the molars where previously present and hence you are unable to chew properly. Is your second mol...  Read Full »

Why do I have jaw pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done in one of my lower right teeth. It was done in one sitting with the help of a laser. Everything was fine for a week. Then, one day my right jaw started aching and I was not able to open the jaw more than half an inch. There wa mild pain below the ear and it inc...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it can be due to muscle spasm but as it started after one week then it can also be due to infection in the root canal treated tooth. So, first of all, the exact cause needs to be ruled out. If Flexon MR (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and Chlorzoxazone) and muscle exe...  Read Full »

Please help me to find the reason for my tooth pain from the x-ray.

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my tooth. After the x-ray, the dentist said it is ok. But I still cannot chew food and drinks are painful. Kindly suggest me a second opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see in x-ray, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) nothing serious. But one thing I noticed a space between fifth, and sixth tooth and the space between the sixth and seventh tooth are wider than usual. I think there may be food lodgment occurred...  Read Full »

Is fibrous dysplasia a life-threatening disease or a cosmetic problem?

Query: Hi doctor, Is fibrous dysplasia a life-threatening disease or just a cosmetic problem in the upper mouth? Can CT scan show the overgrowth of bone in the upper mouth?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. It is not a life-threatening disease but, it is a cosmetic problem and may sometimes be a physiological burden that it may cause difficulty in certain functions like chewing or speech. You need to be in fo...  Read Full »

It hurts to bite. What can be the reason and what medication can be taken?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I got hit in my mouth and this has affected my front teeth. I hurt when I bite down or touch it. I am seeing my dentist tomorrow. Do you have any idea what this is in the meantime?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hello,  Welcome back to icliniq.com. If it hurts to bite then there can be many causes. A few of them are listed here. It can be just a minor injury that can heal in a few days. There can be a fracture in the crown or root of the teeth. If there is mobility there can be either tooth or alveolar b...  Read Full »

What could this line going down my tooth be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a line going down my tooth that can only be seen under direct light. It looks a bit like a crack. I cannot feel it when I run my finger or tongue over it. Should I be worried?  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The line which you have mentioned can be a fracture line which is sometimes very superficial. I would like to know about any pain or sensitivity associated with the tooth. If it is a deep fracture, it is generally painful and sensitive. On the other hand, if it is ...  Read Full »