Q. Why do i have consistent acid reflux the whole day? Can GERD cause sleeplessness?

I have consistent acid reflux when I wake up and until I go to sleep for about three weeks now. It is so bad now that I can not just eat.

My mouth tastes to have a nice and yummy food. I get upper back and chest pains when I am lying down at night. I have been checked out by my cardiologist.

The doctor did a stress test, CT angiogram and CT scan of the lungs. My next step is towards the gastroenterologist. I have sleeplessness for a few days.

I have a small dose of Diazepam for the pain. But it does not alleviate it. Now, I am taking Prilosec regimen and tablet Zantac.

Do you have a question on Acid Reflux or Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE
Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology

You seem to have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone for the reflux.

Also, you should take a soft and balanced diet. You should also put a pillow below your head when you sleep.

Make a habit to walk after all meals. Avoid alcohol and smoking in case you do.

Always brush before you sleep.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Can GERD cause sleeplessness? I am finding it hard to lead a normal life. I am not able to sleep.

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE

GERD or acid reflux is caused by sleeplessness that could be due to undergoing stress or anxiety.

I would say, you have irritable bowel syndrome that is mostly a stress-related disease and in causes, exactly the same symptoms were described by you.

In such a scenario along with Pantoprazole and Domperidone, I would recommend you SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Sertraline.

Is it normal that Prilosec and Zantac will not work well for GERD? Also, I have done a CT scan of my stomach and it did not show anything. I have an endoscopy scheduled for three weeks. It is the pain in the chest and back that wakes me up every morning. What can I do to get relieved?

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE

These medicines will just reduce the acidity, they will not help you in GERD. I recommend you the following in view of IBS:

1. A proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole or Rabeprazole will help in neutralizing any acid present in the stomach.
  2. You should avoid fat and pepper in diet and prefer to take a soft, bland diet.
  3. You can take smooth muscle relaxant like Mebeverine for stomach pain, in case you have.
  4. In refractory cases, drugs like Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide can be used, if the condition is not responding.
  5. SSRI like Sertraline or Paroxetine.

I have mentioned you the treatment that I give to my patients with IBS, and they improve drastically and I am sure you will improve soon.

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?
Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms described by you match the presentations of globus pharyngeus or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngopharyngeal reflux, like the one that occurs at the stomach-esophageal junction, occurs in the region of the neck due to the presence of some acid producing ...  Read Full »

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?
Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full »
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but yes Pantoprazole allergy is a permanent condition that you will need to report to any doctor you visit before prescribing medications. Also, this allergy is nothing to worry about as long as you av...  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?
Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »
Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irritable bowel syndrome has these symptoms such as decreased sleep at night, depression, musculoskeletal pain or fibromyalgia, decreased sexual performance, and inadequate attention. IBS can be diarrhea-predominant or constipation predominant or mixed. In the case of ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now