Q. There is back pain after getting up from sitting position and walking. Why?

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Back Pain or Ice Pack? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: There is back pain after getting up from sitting position and walking.  Why?

My mother is 65 years old (height 4'11", weight 64 kg), and has been doing all the household chores since she was 20 years. She has no problems except diabetes. Since one week, she started getting lower back pain. The symptoms are if she is in a sleeping position and gets up and starts walking, there is no problem. But if she is in a sitting position and gets up to walk, there is sharp lower back pain. Can you please let me know what could be the reason? How can the pain be relieved? Any special exercises or chair or vitamin supplements, etc.?