Q. There is back pain after getting up from sitting position and walking. Why?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Apr 02, 2019

My mother is 65 years old (height 4'11", weight 64 kg), and has been doing all the household chores since she was 20 years. She has no problems except diabetes. Since one week, she started getting lower back pain. The symptoms are if she is in a sleeping position and gets up and starts walking, there is no problem. But if she is in a sitting position and gets up to walk, there is sharp lower back pain. Can you please let me know what could be the reason? How can the pain be relieved? Any special exercises or chair or vitamin supplements, etc.?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

At 65, your mother seems to be suffering from spondylosis which is nothing but wear and tear of the spine. This is made worse after any period of rest and sitting usually makes it worse. Is there any radiation of pain to the leg? I will recommend that you get an X-ray of the affected part like lumbar spine AP and lateral. In the meantime, I will also recommend that she tries hot packs or preferably ice packs over the site area to see if that relieves pain. She can also apply Dynapar QPS spray. Take Ultracet for pain one tablet twice a day. Please send me the X-rays for further advice.

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

Can imbalance occur due to cervical spondylosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 97 kg. I had a cervical spine x-ray and was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. I also have mild CAD and severe sleep apnea. Due to intermittent chest pain and breathlessness on exertion, CAD was suspected. After positive TMT, I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tightness and neck pain can be due to cervical spondylosis. The lightheadedness and balancing issues can also occur due to spondylosis. Spondylosis is not so severe on x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is of mild grade. If your hand gri...  Read Full

I have back pain due to sitting in front of computer for long hours. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male. I was sitting in front of the computer for more than 10 hours per day for past one month. I have mild pain in my lower back, not a constant pain. the pain either left side or right side but the right side is more time the pain always shift its position. and whil...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jayaprakash Reddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your complaints, I will suggest you few things. Do not sit in front of the computer for a long time not more than one hour after that at least walk for 2 to 3 minutes and you can get...  Read Full

Ask a Fitness Expert Now