Q. Which tests should I undergo to determine hormonal imbalance?

Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Hi doctor,

My problem is that I am having man boobs and love handles. They just will not go away. I workout and reduced a lot of fat, but the fat in this area is stubborn. I want to know whether there is any hormonal imbalance in my body like high content of estrogen. What tests should I undergo to determine the hormonal imbalance? I have had this type of physique since childhood mostly after puberty. Please check the picture I have attached. Thanks.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • This is called gynecomastia which is quite common and needs treatment due to cosmetic reasons.
  • First of all, this may be natural following obesity or due to hormonal imbalance inside you.
  • You need a checkup whether there is any hormonal imbalance. A testicular examination and assessment of serum thyroid and testosterone are the basic tests.
  • Often these tests are found normal. In that case, there remain two options.
  • First one is aggressive weight reduction and body building which you are following. This is the good option provided you are highly motivated.
  • The second one is surgery. Do not get tensed. This is a very common form of surgery where the fat around the nipples are taken away. This is also a permanent cure.

For further doubts consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

Hi doctor,

Thanks a lot doctor for the information. For the tests should I meet a doctor personally? Please let me know the tests I need to go through. I will contact you once I am done with the report. Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • You can do few preliminary tests to assess whether there is any hormonal problem with you.
  • But, keep in mind that occasionally these tests appear within normal range which signifies your gynecomastia is physiological.
  • Just do a blood test for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), LFT (liver function tests), prolactin, creatinine, total and free testosterone and estradiol for basic assessment.

Revert back with the test reports to an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

Hi doctor,

I am back with the test results that you suggested for the possibility of gynecomastia. Please take a look at the attached photos of the report. Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • The results can be defined as good as well as bad. It is good, because they are all normal and within limits.
  • Your gynecomastia is entirely physiological and not related to any hormonal disturbances. Thus there will be no response to any form of drug therapy at present.
  • This is actually not gynecomastia, but lipomastia which means a collection of fat tissue.
  • You need to work hard to reduce these breast fat as well as to tighten your underlying chest muscles.
  • Your target would be to reduce the BMI - body mass index to below 22. Just join a gym to get the instructions for weight reduction as well as to tighten the muscles in the chest.
  • Exercises which can help you are:
  1. Pushups - not only tighten the chest’s upper muscles but also help reduce their size.
  2. Incline press with dumbbells - The chest fat can become lifted and less saggy when doing an incline press using dumbbells to make it appear elevated.
  3. Seated row - This helps eliminate man boobs by working the pectoral muscles into firmness.
  • If your false gynecomastia has been under treatment or exercise for more than a year and there is no apparent sign of improvement then the only option is surgery.

For further information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

.. stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you. Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the tr...   Read full

I had a gynecomastia surgery last week. Why is fluid getting accumulated in my right breast?

.. had the first time was hematoma or blood collection which was drained. Now, what you have is a seroma, which usually gets absorbed by the body in a couple of weeks. I would suggest you wait or if you want to confirm if it is a seroma or hematoma, ...   Read full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Hello doctor,

I am currently having acne on my cheeks and I am applying Benzoyl peroxide gel on my acne. It only reduces the inflammation but bumps are not reducing. I also have pigmentation caused by acne before. What may be the reason? I ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

Drug-Induced Gynecomastia - Diagnosis and Treatment

Article Overview: This article explains about the medications that cause gynecomastia, that is, the enlargement of the male breast. The article discusses the mechanism of its development, monitoring, and treatment. Read Article

Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male breast. Drug-induced gynecomastia is common (1 to 2.5 %), especially with antipsychotics. Typically Phenothiazines and Butyrophenones cause gynecomastia. Sometimes, Risperidone also causes it. Mechanism of Action of Antipsychotics: Antipsychotics ac...  Read Article

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Andrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.