Q. Which tests should I undergo to determine hormonal imbalance?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

My problem is that I am having man boobs and love handles. They just will not go away. I workout and reduced a lot of fat, but the fat in this area is stubborn. I want to know whether there is any hormonal imbalance in my body like high content of estrogen. What tests should I undergo to determine the hormonal imbalance? I have had this type of physique since childhood mostly after puberty. Please check the picture I have attached. Thanks.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• This is called gynecomastia which is quite common and needs treatment due to cosmetic reasons.
  • First of all, this may be natural following obesity or due to hormonal imbalance inside you.
  • You need a checkup whether there is any hormonal imbalance. A testicular examination and assessment of serum thyroid and testosterone are the basic tests.
  • Often these tests are found normal. In that case, there remain two options.
  • First one is aggressive weight reduction and body building which you are following. This is the good option provided you are highly motivated.
  • The second one is surgery. Do not get tensed. This is a very common form of surgery where the fat around the nipples are taken away. This is also a permanent cure.

For further doubts consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

| 

Thanks a lot doctor for the information. For the tests should I meet a doctor personally? Please let me know the tests I need to go through. I will contact you once I am done with the report. Thank you.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• You can do few preliminary tests to assess whether there is any hormonal problem with you.
  • But, keep in mind that occasionally these tests appear within normal range which signifies your gynecomastia is physiological.
  • Just do a blood test for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), LFT (liver function tests), prolactin, creatinine, total and free testosterone and estradiol for basic assessment.

Revert back with the test reports to an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

| 

I am back with the test results that you suggested for the possibility of gynecomastia. Please take a look at the attached photos of the report. Thank you.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The results can be defined as good as well as bad. It is good, because they are all normal and within limits.
  • Your gynecomastia is entirely physiological and not related to any hormonal disturbances. Thus there will be no response to any form of drug therapy at present.
  • This is actually not gynecomastia, but lipomastia which means a collection of fat tissue.
  • You need to work hard to reduce these breast fat as well as to tighten your underlying chest muscles.
  • Your target would be to reduce the BMI - body mass index to below 22. Just join a gym to get the instructions for weight reduction as well as to tighten the muscles in the chest.
  • Exercises which can help you are:
  1. Pushups - not only tighten the chest’s upper muscles but also help reduce their size.
  2. Incline press with dumbbells - The chest fat can become lifted and less saggy when doing an incline press using dumbbells to make it appear elevated.
  3. Seated row - This helps eliminate man boobs by working the pectoral muscles into firmness.
  • If your false gynecomastia has been under treatment or exercise for more than a year and there is no apparent sign of improvement then the only option is surgery.

For further information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

|