Q. Can I contract HIV from unprotected oral sex?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Jan 07, 2018

I had unprotected oral sex and protected hardcore sex with a commercial sex worker whose medical status was unknown. After four weeks of exposure, I had breathing and stomach bloating problem. I am allergic to cold and the climate in our area considerably dropped. I consulted a doctor and got a blood test for asthma but results were normal.

In the fifth week, I got conjunctivitis, cough, and weakness at a time. The doctor gave treatment for conjunctivitis and syrup for a cough but still, I felt weak. Could you please brief on the above symptoms and I would like to undergo complete HIV test on the 90th day with results on the same day and doctor consultation for this. I am in a panic since that encounter of unprotected oral sex.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by unprotected oral sex is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in both. This is unlikely.

The chances of transmission of HIV by protected intercourse is almost nil. The risk is almost nil.

You can go for HIV fourth generation tests and HIV 1 and 2 and PCR (polymerase chain reaction) now to be relieved of your anxiety.

You can consult any major hospitals for investigation and management. The symptoms are nonspecific.

It can be due to any simple respiratory infection or allergic manifestations.

It is unlikely due to HIV.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Can you catch the flu from having intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a girl I know. The condom broke while having sex. After 30 minutes, I started having the headache. I was distraught. I took the antibiotics. After two days, I had a cold. Can HIV symptoms appear this fast? Or it was because I took the antibiotics? Or I am just panicking?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) symptoms cannot appear so soon. It may be due to an anxiety or just a coincidence. For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Below are the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usua...  Read Full

How accurate is HIV-1 RNA, QL TMA?

Query: Hello doctor, Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algori...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. HIV RNA PCR test is accurate after 9 to 13 days after the risk exposure. It can be used to detect early infection with HIV when most other screening tests are not yet reliable. However, it is not a confirmatory test and an early screening with RNA PCR should be followed...  Read Full

Ask a Community Medicine Physician Now