Q. Though I did not penetrate, is there a risk for HIV?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently had a contact with a sex worker. I am sure that there was no penetration at all, but I am worried since I was not wearing a condom. Is there any risk for HIV? Do her secretions contain virus? I am very scared. Please help.

#

• Yes, if there is contact of her secretion with your glans, then you are at risk.
  • Can you tell me the exact date on which exposure happens in order to tell you the right test?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

It has been 10 days. I know the window period is three months. Though I did not penetrate, is there any risk? Because, I heard that the virus will present only in the inner layer of the vagina. I am so much worried and having suicidal thoughts. Please help.

#

• The vaginal fluid contains the virus, so if it comes in contact with any mucosa whether oral or genital, then you are at risk.
  • You can go for HIV RT-PCR testing (real-time polymerase chain reaction), which becomes positive in two to three weeks.
  • Are you experiencing any symptoms of flu, rash and sore throat? Was this your first such exposure?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Yes, it was my first time of exposure. I am not having any of the above symptoms. I did not understand the mucosa. Can you please explain it in detail?

#

• Mucosa means mucus membrane like oral cavity, tongue, pharynx, glans penis, conjunctiva, cornea, etc. In short, where the outer skin is not there and it also includes gastrointestinal tract.
  • So, whenever vaginal fluid comes in contact with any of the above then there is a risk.
  • Although the chances of acquiring HIV are low, but it is still there. So, you can go for HIV RT-PCR testing and also go for the 4th generation testing after 4th week of exposure. It becomes positive in more than 90 percent of HIV positive cases and very rarely one has to wait for 12 weeks.

Revert back with the reports to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|