Q. I have thick skin pads, redness, and pain when out in sunlight. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have thick skin pads on my cheeks, and the symptoms have all the hallmarks of rosacea, redness, itchiness, pain in sunlight, blushing, etc. I was becoming very self-conscious of my face and wondered if I could do anything to reduce the symptoms. It started almost 10 to 15 years ago, but it has become more aggressive. I have not taken any medication for rosacea, and it now seems to be getting worse. Please help.

#

Yes, it seems to be a manifestation of rosacea. Please send good quality photographs taken in natural light to confirm the diagnosis and to provide you the proper treatment.

Thanks for the reply. Here are the photos you requested.

#

I have had a look at the photographs (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, you are suffering from rosacea more precisely erythematotelangiectatic rosacea.
  • The cause of it is solar damage which leads to vasomotor instability leading to erythema on face and tendency to flush easily.
  • Take the following medications :
  1. Capsule Oracea (Doxycycline) 40 mg daily one capsule.
  2. Apply Metronidazole 1% gel in night.
  3. Soolantra gel (Ivermectin), to be applied once in a day over affected area.
  4. Neutrogena advanced plus sun spectrum lotion 70, thrice daily at 8 AM, 11 AM and 2 PM on sun exposed area.
  • Avoid hot tea, coffee, spicy food and alcohol.
  • Do not go in sun without prescribed sunscreen.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|