Q. Why do I face difficulty in losing weight?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

I am a 35 year old woman. My height is 5'3" and weight is 147lbs. I do not have a child yet, but will be trying to conceive soon. I am a vegan and eat healthy. I workout five days a week and sometimes will go for a 5 km runs around two to three times a week as well. I went off my birth control pill about three months ago and have not had a period since. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, but after going vegan two years ago, doctor said it definitely helped with symptoms. I have been eating right and working out for the last three months, and my weight has not budged. In fact, it seems I have gained numbers on the scale. Three months ago, I was 139 lbs. Is there anything in my report that could be the reason for not being able to lose weight or abdominal fat? Is there anything in the infertility test portion that could indicate the issues in trying to conceive? I would like to get a professional advice on my blood work results. I am mainly looking to find out if anything on here can indicate infertility or difficulty in losing weight. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The only evident abnormality is low vitamin D levels, which need to be improved. They do have a role in maintaining a healthy ovulation, follicular growth and also a healthy bone mass maintenance.
  • The FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone) and progesterone levels are corresponding to the ovulation phase of the cycle and hence normal.
  • The testosterone and DHEAS levels (Dehydroepiandrosterone) are also well within limits, being the insulin and sugar levels. So, definitely the PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome effect has decreased.
  • However, considering that you have been on birth control for long it is likely that withdrawal bleed gets delayed. But, as it has already been three months you must opt for a withdrawal bleeding with progesterone to restart your menses.
  • Considering the estradiol and insulin levels being normal, the weight can be further controlled naturally by reducing at least 100 calories further per day.
  • You need to take 4-5 liters of water daily for adequate hydration and for normal functioning of reproductive hormones.
  • Presently, Vitamin D supplementation with 60K IU per week for four weeks should be undertaken.
  • You should opt for a withdrawal bleed considering suppressed progesterone levels of 0.2 at present. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the tablet with consent.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »