Q. How do I know if I am allergic to a specific thing?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 19 years old male. My IgE levels in the past two years were 1411 and 869.0 IU/mL respectively. Do I need to check now? Also the absolute eosinophil counts were 800 and 240. My TSH was high and it got treated. I feel allergic to dust, eggplant (tongue itch), perfume, fragrance, etc. I cannot apply any face cream. If I do then my eyes become watery instantly and do not stop for hours. I also get burning sensation. I have acne prone skin. Now, my main complaint is occasional unexplained cough for more than two years. I used to avoid chill water and cold drinks. What should be done further? I have also attached my blood report of TSH and lipid profile for your reference.

#

It seems you do have allergy tendencies in your body which are associated with asthma or allergic bronchitis and high IgE levels. Also you have associated skin issues like urticaria or atopic dermatitis which are all connected together.

Well, the first line is usually anti-allergics and that too for a long time. I will not suggest Montelukast. Take Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) and Levocet 10 mg (Levocetirizine) in the morning. If not controlled we can add Atarax (Hydroxyzine). The key is to suppress the allergic cell release.

If not controlled you may need a short course of steroids. Steroids work like magic in these diseases, but it is bound to relapse once you stop it.

So, we have to control it with all three generations of different antihistamines.

These conditions tend to fade off when you reach mid 20's. At times they linger on. We have to just wait and see. But for now, we have to control the allergic storm.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

Thank you for your opinion. Is any specialized test or allergy panel test required? What are the things I should avoid? Also how do I know that I am allergic to some specific thing? In case it turns out to be chronic, hence the queries. Elevated IgE in my case could be a congenital defect or affected by environmental or lifestyle factors?

#

Pertaining to your queries my answers are as follows:

• The allergy test is not specific. It detects lot of things which are uncalled for and you may not be able to avoid in your usual life, thus making things more stressful. For example, even cockroach dust is tested in some tests. So, you can imagine.
  • As for allergies, it is best detected by your exposure and response. You are the best judge of it and you can know about it when you experience certain symptoms. For example simple thing like prawns. People know when they are allergic to it.
  • IgE levels are both congenital and triggered by environmental agents. It has been present since birth, but got triggered by certain environmental agents.

| 

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full »

What causes frequent sneezing, wheezing and cough during cold climate?

Query: Hi doctor, I have frequent sneezing during cold climate. I have wheezing and cough. I used several medicines for seven years. I have no problem with the heart, and I do not have asthma.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now