Q. What are the reasons for constant back pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 28 year old female. I am suffering from mid back pain since two days. I did not take any medicine but applied Moov and Zandu balm. But, there is no relief. The pain remains the same all through the day and night. I neither had an injury nor lifted any heavy objects. I had no surgeries before. The pain persists more while sitting without back support and while working in kitchen. It is a constant pain and not spreading anywhere. I am feeling comfortable in bed. I have no extra symptoms other than the pain. What may be the reason for the pain? Can you please suggest a medicine? How long should I use it?

#

• It can be due to faulty posture, related to weak muscles, issues with intervertebral disc, narrowing of spinal canal, any bony instability besides many other, so accurate diagnosis is the key to proper management of the condition.
  • Please tell me the intensity of your back pain on a scale of 1-10. Are there any other neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias (burning or electric shock like sensations), etc., are also present?
  • If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc., then you can start with following recommendations for initial period of 2-3 weeks:  
  •  
    • Maintain proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.
    • If pain is more then you can take a short course of an anti-inflammatory medication like tablet Etoshine or Paracetamol or one which suits you.
    • Since your pain is only since 2 days, I will also like you to have muscle relaxant like tablet Myoril for a period of 3-5 days.
    • Physical therapy initially under supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.
    • Adequate calcium and vitamin D intake if levels are low in body.
    • Ice packs to be applied at home three to four times in a day, for 15-20 minutes every time.
    • Analgesic spray like Dynapar QPS spray for local application can be used after fomentation and it is easily available.
    • Avoid lifting heavyweight, acute forward bending in mornings, etc.
    • We will observe you for next two to three weeks how you respond to this conservative management protocol.
  • If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like, dynamic x-rays of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation.

1. Muscular strain.
2. Discogenic.

1. Not to bend forwards acutely especially after getting up in morning.
2. Not to lift any heavy weight.

Revert back after two weeks for follow up to a spine health specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist

|