Q. Why am I having diarrhea after protected oral sex?

Answered by
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 17, 2022

Hi doctor,

I met a guy. I decided not to have sex as I do not know him. He gave me protected oral (blow job) with a condom. Also, I fingured his anus two minutes with vaseline by putting nitrile gloves. That is all and he also sucked my nipples. We did not have anal sex. There was little masturbation before oral. But it has been a week and I am having diarrhea. I am very scared. Do you think I got exposed to HIV? I never did anal sex due to fear of HIV.

Please help.



Welcome to

It is unlikely to acquire HIV without exchange of body fluids. In your case, masturbation and oral sex have very minimal chance for such. Your diarrhea could be due to other infections.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Thank you sir,

So can I resume my life putting my HIV worry behind or do I need any testing?



Welcome back to

Oral sex and masturbation are not high-risk exposures. The percentage risk for transmission of HIV is not known in these conditions. Even the WHO does not categorize them as risk factors for HIV. Hence the chance of acquiring HIV is unlikely through such modes.

However, there are other STDs which have a higher risk of spread through oral sex. As it was a protected one, the chances should be less. But it is advisable to go for a baseline screening and repeat after four weeks for the same. There is no need to panic, it is just a precautionary measure. However, it is advisable to refrain from homosexual activities in future.

The investigations to be done are:

  1. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV.
  2. HBsAg (Australia antigen).
  3. Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus).
  4. VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory test).

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Hello doctor,

I have got HIV ELFA Ag/Ab test and it has come negative.



Welcome back to

It is a good sign. But we need to cover up for the window period and be sceptical about the reports within this duration. As the baseline is negative, a follow up test at 12 weeks will confirm the result. You can choose ELISA method at 12 weeks or 4 th generation combo test at six weeks to confirm the same.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

.. you had sex with someone who has never had sex with anyone else before you then you cannot get an STD. STDs are only transmitted from an infected sexual partner. So, if it is the first time sex for someone then obviously that person has never been...   Read full

Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (AAD)

.. to infection by antibiotic-resistant pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium difficile, Candida albicans, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens type A, Klebsiella oxytoca, etc. CDAD (Clostridium difficile-associated disease) is responsi...   Read full

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

.. been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it. Further tests need to be done as f...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.