Q. Why am I having diarrhea after protected oral sex?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 17, 2022

I met a guy. I decided not to have sex as I do not know him. He gave me protected oral (blow job) with a condom. Also, I fingured his anus two minutes with vaseline by putting nitrile gloves. That is all and he also sucked my nipples. We did not have anal sex. There was little masturbation before oral. But it has been a week and I am having diarrhea. I am very scared. Do you think I got exposed to HIV? I never did anal sex due to fear of HIV.

Please help.

#

It is unlikely to acquire HIV without exchange of body fluids. In your case, masturbation and oral sex have very minimal chance for such. Your diarrhea could be due to other infections.

Thank you sir,

So can I resume my life putting my HIV worry behind or do I need any testing?

#

Oral sex and masturbation are not high-risk exposures. The percentage risk for transmission of HIV is not known in these conditions. Even the WHO does not categorize them as risk factors for HIV. Hence the chance of acquiring HIV is unlikely through such modes.

However, there are other STDs which have a higher risk of spread through oral sex. As it was a protected one, the chances should be less. But it is advisable to go for a baseline screening and repeat after four weeks for the same. There is no need to panic, it is just a precautionary measure. However, it is advisable to refrain from homosexual activities in future.

The investigations to be done are:

1. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV.
  2. HBsAg (Australia antigen).
  3. Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus).
  4. VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory test).

Take care.

I have got HIV ELFA Ag/Ab test and it has come negative.

#

It is a good sign. But we need to cover up for the window period and be sceptical about the reports within this duration. As the baseline is negative, a follow up test at 12 weeks will confirm the result. You can choose ELISA method at 12 weeks or 4 th generation combo test at six weeks to confirm the same.

|