Q. Does low G6PD level cause hemolytic anemia?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Recently, I did a series of blood tests to check my pre-existing G6PD deficiency. The results showed low G6PD levels of 0.4 units/gram of hemoglobin. I have read that anything below 10 % of the normal range can cause hemolytic anemia. Please suggest.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) level is low. But clinical correlation is needed in your case. I suggest you investigate with CBC, reticulocyte count estimation, and peripheral smear examination to check whether there is a presence of hemolysis or not.

If there is no hemolytic episode, then there is no need to worry. In G6PD deficiency, you have to be alert when you have typhoid and pneumonia. It can lead to oxidative damage and can result in hemolysis. Drugs like Primaquine, Sulpha drugs, Aspirin, and Vitamin K analog should be avoided. Fava beans should be restricted in your diet.

|