Q. I am a vegetarian. I would like to gain weight without any side effects. Please help.

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

I am a  26 year old male. I would like to gain weight without any side effects. My height is 164cm and my weight is 54kg. I am a vegetarian and I do not take eggs. I am a software engineer and my work does not involve much physical movement.

Please suggest me a suitable diet plan and exercise.

#

It is very important to gain weight in a healthy way (i.e, gaining muscle and not fat). For this, both diet and exercise play a major role.

DIET:

• Include a lot of protein in your diet in the form of nuts, seeds and sprouts. Protein drinks like Protinex are also helpful.
  • Instead of 3 major meals a day, take 6-7 small meals. Take nuts, sprouts, raw vegetables and fruits as mini meals.
  • Always start your day with a fruit

EXERCISE:

• Exercise every day. Concentrate more on strength training exercises like weight lifting. Start off with lighter weights and slowly progress to heavier weights to avoid muscle injury.
  • Include a whey protein drink as a pre- and post-workout meal to fuel your muscle growth.

Consult a dietician online for any modifications in your diet chart --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

|