Q. Can HIV be transmitted by kissing?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I had a protected intercourse with a girl twice in a single day. After that, the girl and I tested HIV negative using the fourth generation CMIA at 66 days. I again tested at 77 days using the rapid card method and that was negative as well. Is it conclusive? Also, can deep lip kissing transmit HIV?

#

I have read your query and understand your concern.

• Yes, the test is conclusive.
  • Deep lip kissing transmits HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) through the saliva.

Feel free to ask more information. Good luck. Regards.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your quick reply. I asked the girl about her last exposure, and she said that she had protected sex with another guy 20 days before me. That means the timing of the fourth generation test from her last exposure is 80 days. Is there any chance that she is in a window period and was misdiagnosed by the test. I read in many places and took lab assistants feed back. They said that the test is conclusive at six weeks. I just want to know your opinion too. I have also tested yesterday at the lab with the rapid card method and it was negative. Is the rapid card method reliable? Can I resume regular sex life with my wife and move on? I am too stressed since the last 70 days.

#

• The fourth generation test is usually considered conclusive at six weeks post-exposure but guidelines recommend 12 weeks. So, when a p24 antigen test is done along with the antibodies testing, it is more reliable.
  • In your case, I will recommend you to go for a repeat testing after three months because if anything was missed, it can be detected at that time.
  • You can continue with your wife until then, but with condom protection. And do not take any stress.

Hope you found this useful.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|