Q. I have fever, rash, stomach pain and other symptoms. How to diagnose the problem?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I suffer from jaundice and typhoid. I have vomiting, high fever, rashes, drowsiness, and stomach pain. Whenever I consult the doctor, he gives me medicines. I do not understand, and I am confused whether he gives tablets for jaundice and typhoid or whether he provides tablets for cough, headache, and vomiting. Please suggest.

#

First of all, jaundice is a symptom, and typhoid fever is a diagnosis. Jaundice is a state in the human body in which there is an increase in bilirubin (produced in the liver) level causing yellowish discoloration of sclera and skin. I am not sure whether you have typhoid or not. These symptoms you have seem to be due to acute viral hepatitis. But the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is of antibiotic combination which is used in the treatment of typhoid fever (Cefixime and Ofloxacin).

We cannot diagnose typhoid just by symptoms, and we need to perform some blood tests for it. You should take a lot of fluids and glucose water. If it is acute viral hepatitis, the yellowish discoloration or jaundice takes a month to disappear. You should not worry much about it, but get a full liver function test done along with PT (prothrombin time) and INR (international normalized ratio). Also if interested, get a screen for IgM anti HAV (hepatitis A virus) and HEV (hepatitis E virus) serology. Acute viral hepatitis occurs mostly due to improper hand hygiene or contaminated water source. You will get well soon.

|