Q. What are the ways to cure recurrent UTI?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

I have a recurring UTI. I am travelling at the moment so wanted to get some advice on how to get rid of it. I have already taken a three-day course of antibiotics the first time I had it. It went away but maybe a week later it came back at which point I took a sachet that you dissolve in water. It also went away then but it has come back now because yesterday I took a morning after-pill I think. There seems to be a tiny bit of blood. Although this is the third time, it fully comes back, it always seem to be there a little bit on and off sometimes just for an hour or occasionally when I pee. I am not sure if there is a cause for concern but can anyone tell me whether I am not taking the right medication to fix this.

Do you have a question on Uti or Usg Kub?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

MBBS., MD., CURRENTLY DOING FELLOWSHIP IN DIABETOLOGY

In males, recurrent urinary tract infections are uncommon and always indicate an underlying pathology or anatomical abnormality of the urinary tract. It requires complete examination of urinary tract to look for any pathology or anatomical abnormality ASAP because if these problems remain untreated can have long term and serious consequences on kidneys including kidney failure. I recommend you to visit your urologist at the earliest to identify the cause and treat it accordingly.

In females, urinary tract infections are little common because of short urethra especially in married females and pregnant women. However, too frequent UTI is also not acceptable and it warrants complete examination of urinary tract to identify the pathology or anatomical abnormality and treat it accordingly. Ultrasound of KUB region will help in identifying problem and urine culture and sensitivity will guide you for the correct antibiotics. Suggestion is to have plenty of fluids to maintain urine pH towards alkaline. I advice to take antibiotics only after consulting your urologist.

Also Read Answers From: Uti Usg Kub Uti Treatment

What is causing burning sensation while urination and tired eyes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a black male. I have a burning sensation when urinating and my eyes feel tired and a bit watery from time to time. I have itching between my anus and my scrotum. Recently, I have noticed a dark black mark on my penis shaft just below the crown of my penis and about a month ago, I...  Read Full »
Dr. Devendra
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hard nodule bursting on your buttocks was an infected sebaceous cyst. If recurrent on the same spot, you may need a small surgery of cyst excision. For eyes, get refractive error checked and if needed specs. Burning urination is with poor flow, straining of urine? H...  Read Full »

Is Urinary Tract Infection contagious?
Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now