Uti Treatment

Urinary tract infections are treated with certain antibiotics. Some of the commonly used antibiotics include Nitrofurantoin, Sulfonamides, Cephalosporins, Trimethoprim, Doxycycline, and Quinolones. If the infection is severe, then intravenous antibiotics may be recommended.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am suffering from sharp pain while passing urine. What could it be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old and have sharp pain while passing urine. I need to go to pee, but not able to pass urine. I searched this up on the internet. It might be cystitis. It has been going on for about two weeks and causing me a lot of pain and confusion. Are you able to help? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iCliniq.com. Please go for a urine routine and microscopy test along with a sonography KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) to be sure if this is UTI (urinary tract infection) or cystitis. If the urine report shows more than ten pus cells per HPF (high-pass filter) with a normal sonogr...  Read Full »

I am suffering from recurrent UTIs despite taking medications. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am diagnosed with UTI through semen culturea few years back. The name of the organism was Enterococcus faecalis. Doctors prescribed a Nitrofurantoin tablet for 15 days but it was not relieved. Earlier I was diagnosed with UTI twice through urine culture four months ago. At both the time...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and found the attached report (attachment removed for patient identity protection). As you have taken so many antibiotics orally and still no relief is there, I would like to suggest you take an intravenous antibiotic. If your serum creati...  Read Full »

Despite taking medications I have a UTI infection. What should I do for complete recovery from this infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a UTI infection, with pus cells count is 40 to 45 and there are bacteria in the urine that is Klebsiella pneumonia. I also have right kidney ADPKD cysts, lymphocytes are 18,000 cells per microliter and creatine is normal. I took Cranpac D and Uribid tablets twice daily and the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Madhav Tiwari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and understand your concern. Please help me with a few details so that I can help you better: 1. When was your autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) diagnosed? 2. What symptoms are you experiencing currently? 3. Do you hav...  Read Full »

Is the treatment for recurrent UTIs causing urinary incontinence in my 96-year-old mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 96 years old. Five years ago, she had many recurring UTIs caused by E.coli with positive cultures on urinalysis with burning urination and incontinence. She does not have them now. Now she has dementia and is on the tablet Mirabegron. However, she has more urinary accident...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. For patients with recurrent UTIs (urinary tract infections), on prophylactic antibiotics, for any suspected UTI, we can start treatment irrespective of the reports. So that is one option. The second would be to add a low dose of anticholin...  Read Full »

My pee is cloudy with irritation during urination. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I think that I have UTI. I have a little bit of irritation when I use bathroom and my pee seems to be cloudy. Sometimes, I have itching. I have an urge to keep peeing. I have this issue for a week. What is wrong with me?  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Abdul Nasir

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a more likely chance to have urinary tract infection. It occurs more commonly among women. Please mention whether you had any fever in the past few days. Having cloudy urine indicates the presence of protein in the urine. Please mention whether you noticed any sw...  Read Full »

I have had recurring UTIs after sex and completed my antibiotic course. Will I get the infection if I have sex again?

Query: Hello doctor,I keep getting recurring UTIs every time after sex. Sometimes it happens three times a week. The urine culture shows Streptococcus agalactiae group B. I was given a Fosfomycin sachet, which was effective. But the infection appears again when I have sex. I have been prescribed Nitrofuran...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I read your query and understand your concern.It is better to have a consultation regarding UTI (urinary tract infection) with a physician to have proper treatment, as recurrent antibiotics could also give you resistance. Have one high vaginal swab, thyroid function test...  Read Full »

Can I take Sildoo 8 for UTI and urine retention?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old suffering from UTI and urine retention. I am a father of two, height is six feet and weighing 87 kg. I was suffering from mild constipation (first poop is easy but clearing remaining used to take some time from past few months. I used to spend at least 15-20 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep. P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your elaborate history what I could make out is that you had a severe episode of acute prostatitis which was undertreated and now it is chronic prostatitis syndrome. Also, you have severe constipation. Sildoo is silodosin which is a highly potent alpha-blocker. I wou...  Read Full »

I have urinary tract infection and Septra did not help. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know the next steps I need to take for a UTI that has been treated with Septra that did not work, and then with Ceftriaxone IV followed by 400 mg of Norfloxacin BID. With both medications, I saw an initial improvement for 24 hours. Unfortunately, urine culture was not perform...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query, and I can understand your concern. It would be best if you had culture-specific antibiotics. I would suggest starting empirical therapy comprising antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, and alpha-blockers. 1) Tablet Levofloxacin 500 mg at bedtime for five ...  Read Full »

I have been trying home remedies for my UTI-like symptoms but have seen no improvement. Can you suggest a safe antibiotic?

Query: Hi doctor,I am not sure, but my symptoms are of UTI. It has been five days, and I have not gone to the doctor because I thought it would be treated by taking home remedies like cranberry juice, consuming vitamin C, etc. Still, I have not drunk yet and consumed only water. So, I want to ask if I shou...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. At your age, spontaneous urine infections are common. Also, they can occur after a sexual encounter. If there is a recent history of sexual activity (unprotected), you need to consult a gynecologist or urologist and get basic tests done. If t...  Read Full »

I am a 35-year-old female with a yellow discharge and burning sensation after urination. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old female with no new sexual partners. I get a yellow discharge and some burning sensation after urinating. I have been on antibiotics for an ear infection, and that gave me a UTI and yeast infection. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Archana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a urinary tract infection which may be due to the ear infection or so. Kindly get a urine culture done and sensitivity reports. Because you have got treated for an ear infection, I would not like to take the chance of treating you with vague antibiotics. Sen...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.