Q. I developed small bumps on my penis after excessive masturbation and sex. Could you help me to recover ?

Published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2019

I am a 35 year old male, who is in good health. So, here is the story. It first started two weeks ago. My girlfriend thought it would be fun to remove my pubic hair one night. She started the waxing process, but after the first removal strips had been off, I decided I was never going to do that again. It was very painful.

I agreed that using a razor to shave everything would be fine for now. I had never shaved my pubic region, and later it became a bit irritated and sensitive, but nothing I could not survive. About a day later, I started running a high fever (around 102.5 F) for a day or two, then ended up going to the ER after I found that my lower leg was red and swollen as well.

They diagnosed me with cellulitis. As soon as they started running IV antibiotics, my fever broke, and things looked good. They sent me home with Doxycycline, and I was good.

I am only mentioning the cellulitis as there was no evidence of cuts or scrapes, so we do not know here the infection came from, but now I think it could be from the waxing or shaving torture that I had been though.

My penis had been sore after the shaving, and I recently have been masturbating dry (no lubricant) quite a lot, four times a day was common. My penis was a darker color from the excessive masturbation and sex. Even though it was uncomfortable, I still did it.

So a few days ago after having 3 or 4 sex sessions and previous masturbation before that, I noticed a couple of small bumps on my middle shaft that morning. There is no pain, no itching, and no redness. I have never had anything like this before, and I am very observant with my body. They have been there for 2 to 3 days, and have not changed at all.

I stopped sex and masturbation after noticing them. I have no other symptoms. I was worried about herpes, but they do not seem to match any of the pictures I see online. I do not have redness, tingling, pain, or itching. They are at the same spot where I was feeling the friction burns earlier.

My girlfriend just so happen to have a full Pap smear a week ago, and they did STD testing, and everything was normal. My last partner was over six months, and we had protected sex.

I always ask about sexual health and everything to try to be safe. I understand that the majority of herpes happens within a week of exposure and that the first outbreak is the worst, but they can hide dormant for long periods.

It feels like this is a dumb choice to shave and irritate my pubic region and also do excessive masturbation and sex while ignoring the friction pain, and I possibly ended up with a friction blister type of situation.

If I start getting other side effects, I will stop by my doctor. I just wanted a professional to chime in.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your concern.

First of all, I would like to tell you that you only have small bumps over the shaft of the penis. There is no discharge, redness, itching or tingling. Most of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) results in discharge, mild fever, and redness.

While in herpes, severe painful blisters are seen over the penis. So based on the description you provided, these small bumps are not due to any STD.

This could be due to excessive masturbation resulting in bumps, but for exact diagnosis detailed examination is needed. But yes, these are not due to any STD. Also, most of STDs have small incubation period and your partner is tested negative for any STD, so these also prove that they are not due to any STD.

Abstain from masturbation for few days and avoid any hard frictional rubs and you will be alright. You can upload a picture of lesions for confirmation too.

Thanks and take care.

Revert with more information to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for replying. I took few pictures, and I uploaded them. I was dumb, and I think I just aggravated it by excessive masturbation. The last few photos are of the other side. They are showing the darker areas, where excessive wear has occurred. It was hurting, and I just kept going.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The pictures that you have attached are not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am not able to make out the lesions properly. Please upload new pictures.

I suggest taking painkillers for relief. Avoid sex and masturbation for a few days. This will help in healing the lesions. Remain relaxed, these lesions are not due to STD.

Thanks.

Thank you for replying. I have uploaded new pictures. The darker areas are also from discoloration. I have always had very little white spots visible when the skin is stretched, so I am not very worried about that.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Thanks for providing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have seen the pictures, and I also discussed with a dermatologist.

• The lesions are not due to any STD, so remain assured for that. Waxing results in disruption of skin, and later during shaving, the cream or even if you did not use any creams, the lesions resulted in inflammation of the superficial skin. This resulted in contact dermatitis and the lesions are due to contact dermatitis most likely.
  • The darkness is due to hyperpigmentation induced by excessive masturbation or rubbing. This has not developed acutely. For relief, I suggest using Hydrocortisone cream for local application. Apply the cream twice a day for about a week, and this will help in healing.

So just remain relaxed, the lesions will heal with time. Thanks and take care.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for taking your time to review the photos and including a dermatologist in your diagnostics. So far, everything has stayed about the same. There is no pain, redness, tingling, or any other things going on.

Only if I pick or irritate it manually, it seems a little sore. Nothing has really changed in the past 2 to 3 days. I bought some Hydrocortisone, and hopefully, everything will go its course.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Please do not touch the area again and again, and do not scratch the part. This will interfere with the healing. Contact irritant dermatitis worsens by touch, so please avoid this. Apply the Hydrocortisone cream over the part and everything will go on the right course.

Do not remain stressed due to this, the lesions will fade away. Thanks and take care.

For further queries consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What are the pimples on my penis?

The pimples can occur anywhere on the skin. There are various reasons for seeing pimples on the penis. They include simple pus-filled cavities, infection of the hair follicles (folliculitis), a cyst formed by blocked or clogged oil glands (sebaceous cyst), flesh colored pimples due to sexually transmitted infections (pearly penile papules), due to razors which might cause small red pimples, staphylococcal infections.

2.

Is it safe to have sex while having pimple on penis ?

If it is a normal non-painful condition. You can have sex. But, if it is due to some infection or other cause, better to avoid sex and also, get your partner checked for any infection. To decide whether it is normal or not, consult your physician for guidance.

3.

Is it normal to get pimples on your privates?

Some situations are normal like Fordyce’s spots but if you notice any lump or a pimple, it is most probably due to any of the above-mentioned causes which need further medical attention.

4.

Symptoms of lumps on the penis.

The lump on the penis is a swelling which can be because of various reasons like:
- Flesh colored (pearly penile papules).
- Sebaceous glands lacking hair follicles (Fordyce spots).
- Lymphatic blockage (lymphocele) post sex or masturbation.
- Lichen planus.
- Human papillomavirus infection causing genital warts.
- Sexually transmitted infections like herpes or syphilis.
- Curving of the penis while erection along with lump due to Peyronie’s disease.
- Viral infection affecting skin like molluscum contagiosum.
- Rarely, cancer.

5.

Reason for Smelly penis

There can be the following reasons for smelly penis:
- Due to an accumulation of moisture, oil, dirt, dermal cells (Smegma).
- Any urinary tract infection.
- Fungal infection.
- Inflammation of the penis head (balanitis) or foreskin (balanoposthitis).
- Sexually transmitted infection like gonorrhea, chlamydia.
- Clot.

6.

White Bumps On My Penis could be a yeast infection.

Yes, it can be because of a yeast infection if you have the following symptoms along with white bumps:
irritation, redness, foreskin tightness, cottage cheese discharge.

7.

Are Fordyce spots bad?

No, they are a normal variant. Fordyce spots are enlarged sebaceous glands keeping the skin moisturized. You can be having it when you are born but mostly it is visible during puberty.

8.

When Should I see a doctor?

Though white spots or pimples on the penis are not always a matter of concern, if you have the following symptoms along with it, you should consider meeting your physician:
- Pain, tenderness or enlargement, swelling.
- Any dryness and cracks on the skin.
- Clear or white discharge.
- Group of swellings (20 or more).
- Any wart-like or cauliflower-like growth.

9.

How can I prevent a pimple on penis?

Some precutions that you can take are:
- Maintaining hygiene.
- Protected sexual intercourse.
- Avoiding cosmetics or drugs that can irritate the skin.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Avoid humid environment.
- Always, when in doubt, consult your doctor immediately.

10.

What are the main treatments for bumps on penis?

The treatment depends on the cause.
- Viral, bacterial or fungal infection needs a topical and oral form of respective drugs to eradicate the infection.
- Surgical removal in case it is a non-self healing growth like laser surgery or cryosurgery.
- Conservative management along with the above-mentioned like maintaining hygiene, wearing cotton and loose-clothes, etc.
- Do not pop or squeeze the swelling or try to apply medication over-the-counter. Seek medical attention and go ahead with the treatment.

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have a pain in my heels from three to four months. I used a lot of painkillers like Ibuprofen, Voltral, Nims, Dicloran inj, Brexien, Movax, Muscoril, Rotec, Bonate, Carlex D, and Vitamin D inj. and Methicobal inj. etc, but the result is zero. I also try to w...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now