Q. My Mom is a CKD patient & having high Blood Pressure. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I am a 33 year old male, and I am a software engineer. From the last 3 to 4 days I feel a bit tired and drowsy, and sometimes the back of my head pains. I measured my BP today with a digital meter at home, and it was 127/90 mmHg. I got a blood sugar test two months back, and it was 85.

I do not smoke or drink, and I take only homemade food which has less salt or sometimes without salt. As my mom is a CKD patient and having high BP, I am worried whether I have high BP. Should I consult a doctor? If I need to consult a doctor, then should I go to a heart specialist or a general doctor?

#

I understand what you are going through, but there is no need to worry. Hypertension is very common these days, because of the prevalence of bad lifestyle, genetic predispositions, etc. In your case, your mom's history of CKD (chronic kidney disease) increases your chance of hypertension.

I suggest you get CBC (complete blood count), lipid profile, urine analysis, and EKG (electrocardiogram), to review your cardiovascular system.

To help reduce your blood pressure, changes have to be made as follows.

1. Lifestyle modification is the first step, you have to eat healthily. Eat more of vegetables, nuts, fruits, whole grains, fish, and chicken.
  2. Try to exercise at least 3 to 5 days in a week.
  3. Reduce salt intake and always get adequate sleep.

If after three weeks your blood pressure does not normalize, you will have to start taking medications.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. I got a medical checkup 5 to 6 months back, and CBC, lipid profile, ECG, cholesterol, and routine urine analysis were all normal. From few days, I am not getting good sleep. Even after getting 6 to 7 hours, I feel drowsy. Should I start taking BP medicine?

#

Since you have already done the tests and they were all normal, you can start taking medication. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

I will suggest you try taking the following.

1. Tablet Concor (Bisoprolol fumarate) 5 mg, once daily in the morning. This is for hypertension.
  2. Tablet Valerian extracts 400 mg, two hours before your bedtime. This you should take when you are not getting enough sleep.

Please remember to reduce salt intake.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|