Q. My Mom is a CKD patient & having high Blood Pressure. Should I consult a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old male, and I am a software engineer. From the last 3 to 4 days I feel a bit tired and drowsy, and sometimes the back of my head pains. I measured my BP today with a digital meter at home, and it was 127/90 mmHg. I got a blood sugar test two months back, and it was 85.

I do not smoke or drink, and I take only homemade food which has less salt or sometimes without salt. As my mom is a CKD patient and having high BP, I am worried whether I have high BP. Should I consult a doctor? If I need to consult a doctor, then should I go to a heart specialist or a general doctor?



Welcome to

I understand what you are going through, but there is no need to worry. Hypertension is very common these days, because of the prevalence of bad lifestyle, genetic predispositions, etc. In your case, your mom's history of CKD (chronic kidney disease) increases your chance of hypertension.

I suggest you get CBC (complete blood count), lipid profile, urine analysis, and EKG (electrocardiogram), to review your cardiovascular system.

To help reduce your blood pressure, changes have to be made as follows.

  1. Lifestyle modification is the first step, you have to eat healthily. Eat more of vegetables, nuts, fruits, whole grains, fish, and chicken.
  2. Try to exercise at least 3 to 5 days in a week.
  3. Reduce salt intake and always get adequate sleep.

If after three weeks your blood pressure does not normalize, you will have to start taking medications.

For more information consult a cardiologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. I got a medical checkup 5 to 6 months back, and CBC, lipid profile, ECG, cholesterol, and routine urine analysis were all normal. From few days, I am not getting good sleep. Even after getting 6 to 7 hours, I feel drowsy. Should I start taking BP medicine?



Welcome back to

Since you have already done the tests and they were all normal, you can start taking medication. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

I will suggest you try taking the following.

  1. Tablet Concor (Bisoprolol fumarate) 5 mg, once daily in the morning. This is for hypertension.
  2. Tablet Valerian extracts 400 mg, two hours before your bedtime. This you should take when you are not getting enough sleep.

Please remember to reduce salt intake.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score ... Not only does it help control your weight it also helps you relieve your stress, which incidentally happens to be anothe...   Read full

No more painful bouts of AFib. Can this be due to the stopping of Bisoprolol?

.. (also called AFib or AF) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. Normally, your heart contracts and relaxes to a regular beat. In atrial fibrill...   Read full

Hypertension: Overcome the Highs

Your blood pressure value is considered as hypertension when constantly there is a blood pressure of more than 140/90 mmHg ... A family history of hypertension ... Manageme...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.