Q. What is the exact issue of my health?

Published on Jun 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I am an 18 year old female. I am suffering through a number of physical issues since two years. At first, it all started from sudden loose motion. I often got admitted in hospital for this reason. I visited many reputed doctors, but none of them was able to reach any conclusion. At last I was declared celiac, however, it was not the case. Suddenly, without any medications my loose motion has stopped. It was weird, but I was relieved. Soon after two to three days my right chest started hurting a lot. I could not walk, breathe or sleep. I got an x-ray done and it revealed that I had pleural effusion in my right side of chest. Doctor took out 20 mL of urine colored liquid and sent it for laboratory testing. My ADA was high, but malignant cells were not present. So, the doctor reached the conclusion that I have closed TB. I took the TB medicines for four months. I had very ups and downs in my health in those months and suffered through loose motions often.

I changed my doctor for a second opinion. He said that I have major swelling in my lungs and it can get worse if I inhale air pollutants as I was allergic to smoke and dust. He told me to get a good amount of rest and not to climb stairs or walk much. At first, I daily had mild temperatures and had shortness of breath the whole day. I thought I was getting better, but one day suddenly my ankles, upper area of foot, side and back of knees, front of the elbow and my back started aching badly. I suffered through this pain for days as I thought it was normal a body pain, but the pain got worse. I had severe weakness and often had floaters in my vision. I also lost weight and now I am underweight of 42 kg with a height of 5'4". I could not walk or climb stairs as my feet tremble a lot with tremendous pain. It was as if I am not in my senses. I had an eye infection. I got a small pimple like things all over my shoulder and back. My breathing problems got worse. I visited my doctor and he said my lungs are getting worse day by day and a certain disease will get activated if I push myself hard. He also said that I cannot continue my studies this year. I have to rest properly, however, he said that I can walk until I face any abnormalities in my breathe. But, I cannot walk for five to six minutes without taking rest. It means I can only wander in my house a little. It is just ruining my life. I have attached my current medications list. I cannot understand what is this about. What is the exact issue with my body?

#

I am so sorry to hear all that you have been going through and here is my thought process.

• Did you have any work up for that? Also, we have to prove if you had tuberculosis or did you had PPD (purified protein derivative) or culture or gamma interferon test?
  • Please upload any investigations you have, I will list the ones I need to know.

CBC - complete blood count, urea and electrolytes, liver function test, ANA (antinuclear antibody) with characterization and anti-SM antibodies and Anti-dsDNA antibodies if not done. CT scan of the chest with contrast, if the kidney function is normal.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

No, my doctor did not tell me to go through all these tests. However, I had liver function test and the doctor said everything is normal. But, I have slight infection and ADA was 85 something. Is this all something to do with COPD as I have major lung issues and breathing problems too? I cannot walk or do any kind of physical activity. I sleep almost throughout the day. My feet and hands tremble a lot. The thing that draws my attention most is that my face looks fat and the body is relatively thin. It is a kind of swelling, but it does not hurt and it is not stiff. The body pain is still there. I can barely walk. What probably causes all this?

#

• The ADA (serum adenosine deaminase) is high; I agree, but to prove that you have TB or if you have multidrug resistance tuberculosis pleural effusion we would need pleural culture and pleural biopsy.
  • I wanted to know if you have any results from the plural fluid that made your doctor change your treatment? Also, did you took four medications in the first two weeks and then changed to two drugs? If yes, what did you took in the first two months?
  • I would still want you to do these investigations as I requested if possible.
  • No, you do not have COPD. It may be hyper reactive airway due to the infection.
  • We would have to rule out autoimmune disease and also make sure that you have a recent chest x-ray, maybe you are accumulating more fluid?
  • Remember, if it is TB; it might be multidrug resistance and you may not be responding to the treatment. That is why you feel tired and body pain. You should be taking 50 mg vitamin B6 daily, the dose that you are taking is less.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I remember that I took one more medicine first with Combunex Rcin and Helirab, it was Veloz. But, it was removed from the prescription after one month. One surprising fact is that the urine colored liquid from my chest area disappeared within 20 days. The x-ray came clear after 20 days of treatment. The liquid took out was only 20 mL and 75% of my right chest showed white in the x-ray. The last x-ray taken was 20 days ago. It was clear, but the lungs were expanded or more accurately swelled up unusually. And for other tests, I asked a number of times to my doctor, but he always mentions only x-ray and blood tests. He says there is nothing big. We are just giving this treatment to prevent anything big to happen. He makes a big deal out of this disease, but never mentioned exactly what the disease is. He says I am allergic to pollutants and these are damaging my lungs. He says that certain disease will get activated and my life will get spoiled, although I am not sure what this disease is. May be he refers to TB or pleurisy or COPD. All that he mentions is that I am allergic to dust and other pollutants.

#

• My feeling is that they are talking about TB, since it can reactivate during the time of stress.
  • Are you seeing a pulmonologist or infectious disease specialist or just a general practitioner? My advice is to go with a specialist.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Pain in my hands and wrists. What does my blood work suggest?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my hands and wrist and it started a few months ago. It is typically in the morning. I visited a doctor and she did blood tests. The result flagged in my blood tests was anti-Sm/RNP 2.8 and she has referred me to a rheumatologist, who cannot see me for the next two ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the antibody as such does not match your symptoms. It is an antibody for autoimmune disease more like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since it is positive, I would like to know if your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was positive as well, or only this came positive. ...  Read Full

Is lupus causing all my symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 44 year old female, and I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, and Sjogren's syndrome, with symptoms dating back to as young as six years old. I have also been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, thyroiditis, Raynaud disease, right-sided heart enlargeme...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis of asthma is doubtful as pulmonary issues are seen in conditions you are already suffering from like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) and rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, the right term for you is MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease), which are associa...  Read Full

My mother had TB meningitis and is now suspected to have tubercular spine. Help.

Query: Respected doctor, My 63 year old mother was diagnosed with tuberculosis meningitis (TBM) 10 months ago when she complained of a severe headache. She has undergone CSF study and the report of the study is attached. She has been taking ATT medicines since then. The list of all the medicines she is tak...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post which has nicely described the events. Also, I reviewed her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If she has received ATT (antitubercular therapy) for tubercular meningitis 10 months ago, it is highly unlikely that she has ...  Read Full