Q. Mine and my wife's blood group is B. Will it cause any problem in our married life?

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

There are two major blood group systems.

  1. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, AB.
  2. Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative.

You have not mentioned the Rh grouping. You both have the same blood group and can conceive without any fear. There is no worry regarding same blood group.

The point that should be kept in mind is if your wife has a negative group and the child is Rh positive, then to prevent hemolysis in the second child, an anti-D injection is given.

It is good that you are alert regarding pre-conception counseling. You and your wife need to do CBC (complete blood count) with PS (peripheral smear). I am advising this because if there are microcytic hypochromic red blood cells and the RBC mass is high, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) should be done to rule out hemoglobinopathy, especially thalassemia minor.

If you both are thalassemia minor, then fetus amniocentesis needs to be done to rule out thalassemia major in the baby.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can same blood group of parents cause any problem to baby?

.. blood group not at all lead to any problem in conception. Same blood group people can marry and can produce a normal child. So as far as same blood group concerned do not worry about that. But as a doctor I will advise you to check your wife thala...   Read full

Which is the best diet for someone with thalassemia major?

My first blood transfusion was four months ago ... There was no need for blood transfusion before that ...   Read full

Is it necessary to take Rhogam shot during pregnancy?

I know it is a blood product ... Rh incompatibility is a mismatch that occurs between the blood of the mother and the blood of the fetus ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is Epilepsy Or Seizure Disorder?
We all are familiar with the term epilepsy, and always associate it with fits or seizures. But, there is more to it. So,...  Read more»
Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.