Q. Mine and my wife's blood group is B. Will it cause any problem in our married life?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My wife's and mine blood groups are the same. Both of our blood group is B. Will there be any problem in our married life?

#

There are two major blood group systems.

1. ABO - According to this system, the blood group can be A, B, O, AB.
  2. Rh system - According to this system, the blood group can be Rh positive or negative.

You have not mentioned the Rh grouping. You both have the same blood group and can conceive without any fear. There is no worry regarding same blood group.

The point that should be kept in mind is if your wife has a negative group and the child is Rh positive, then to prevent hemolysis in the second child, an anti-D injection is given.

It is good that you are alert regarding pre-conception counseling. You and your wife need to do CBC (complete blood count) with PS (peripheral smear). I am advising this because if there are microcytic hypochromic red blood cells and the RBC mass is high, then HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) should be done to rule out hemoglobinopathy, especially thalassemia minor.

If you both are thalassemia minor, then fetus amniocentesis needs to be done to rule out thalassemia major in the baby.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|