Tinea Capitis or Psoriasis? (General Medicine)

Dr. Albana Greca., MD, MMEDSC


Medical Case Details:

Hello, I want an opinion regarding my 11-year-old patient having patches on her head (at first, the patch was small and localized, now it has spread all over her head and starting to spread on the upper arm) for several months now—treatment with Ketoconazole shampoo, antifungal cream combined with a steroid. The mother says she is fine with treatment. Once she stops it, the lesions start again. Plus, her head skin gets fine when bathing, but immediately after bathing, it itches severely. No changes in detergents. She was suggested to use gentle baby shampoo-type Mustela gel shampoo. Also suggested running skin biopsy. I was thinking of starting oral antifungal but wanted a second opinion. Thank you in advance.


Attached Files:

[Attachments are protected] Please login or sign up as a doctor to view the Attachments.


    Dr. V. Srikanth Reddy

    It's tinea capitis and you can start oral antifungal and avoid using steroid combination creams as it will result in fungal resistance.

    09.Mar, 07:49pm

    Dr. Albana Greca
    General Practitioner

    Thank you Dr.Reddy

    The patient already run skin examination under microscope and resulted negative for fungal infection.

    The dermatologist confirmed psoriasis, and prescribed eosin solution and belosalic shampoo.

    We hope the best for her.
    Thank you.

    09.Mar, 08:31pm

    Dr. Udaya Nath Sahoo
    General Practitioner

    Please continue medication for psoriasis and do these investigations -(Cbc with differential and stool examination)

    Dr sahoo

    ▲ 2
    08.Apr, 11:03am

    Dr. Albana Greca
    General Practitioner

    Thank you Dr.Udaya

    08.Apr, 07:27pm

Are you a doctor?

Please Login to comment or ask a question.

New to icliniq? Sign Up Now




Disclaimer: All medical case discussions published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.