Q. I have occasional dull aches on right side of the abdomen. What can this be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

I have occasionally been experiencing dull aches on right side of the abdomen, about 4 to 5 inches right of the belly button, and about 3 inches below the ribs, from two weeks. I just had an ultrasound of the abdomen and kidneys, and everything is normal. What can this be? It just comes out of nowhere when I make a quick movement, but it is deep inside my gut. I am currently taking Protonix.

#

• It might be due to an acidity and gastritis. Do you also have nausea, bloating, burping, increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in throat, or chest burning?
  • Try doing the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet.
  2. Go for a walk after having food, instead of taking rest.
  3. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals.
  4. Have a regular sleep habit, and avoid stress.
  5. Eat a lot of green leafy vegetables, and fruits.
  6. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.
  7. You can continue with Protonix (Pantoprazole) before breakfast, once a day for two weeks.
  8. Also, try taking syrup Sucral O (combination of Sucralfate and Oxetacaine) or Gelusil (Aluminium and Magnesium hydrochloride and Simethicone), two teaspoons, three times a day for a week.
  9. For pain relief, you can have antispasmodic like tablet Dicyclomine 20 or Hyoscyamine 10 mg, up to three times a day.
  • Another possibility is of worm infestation if you are having any stool disturbances. If you do not respond to the above medicines, get stool routine examination done for cyst and ova. Try taking deworming tablet like tablet Bandy plus (combination of Ivermectin and Albendazole), at bedtime once, and repeat dose after two weeks.
  • Other major causes are ruled out since your ultrasound abdomen is normal.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Today the pain increased a lot when I went out. After I went to the bathroom, the extreme pain went away, but I still have the dull pain. Do you think it is due to constipation?

#

• I think when you meant by going to the bathroom, is that the pain resolved on passing stool, right?
  • Yes, these are cramps and probably because of constipation. Did you have hard stools? If yes, then have plenty of water, fluids, and green leafy vegetables. Try taking syrup Lactulose 15 ml at bedtime, whenever needed.
  • In this case, worm infestation is a usual cause, so get the stool tested for ova and cysts. And deworm yourself after consulting your doctor.
  • If this persists after all measures, you may need an endoscopy.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|