Spasticity

Related Terms: Skin Sagging, Stroke, Hypertension, Aging, Blood Pressure, Botox, High Blood Pressure

I am feeling shaky, clammy and flushing often. How to know the reason for these symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 years old. My weight is 147 lbs and height is 5'3". I am currently taking Tizanidine, Nabumetone, and Hydrocodone as prescribed for a back injury sustained over three years ago. My symptoms are extreme shaking, severe weakness sometimes to the point of feeling like I am about to p...  Read Full »
Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns. I think you had a back injury, pain, and spasticity (stiffness) for which you are taking the above mentioned drugs for last three years. Let me explain briefly about the drugs you are taking. Nabumeto...  Read Full »

What could cause an unsteady gait in a toddler?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was a late walker. She started to walk when she was 18 months old. Now, at 20 months, it feels like she is still very unsteady and her gait is weird. I have attached a link to a video of how she walks. Please see it. Is there a real reason to be concerned or is it normal af...  Read Full »
Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the video (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that she walks with an ataxic gait. There may also be some component of spasticity (stiffness in her lower limbs). It looks a little abnormal because she is tripping and falling. This c...  Read Full »

My daughter is on Phenytoin, but still, she gets seizure. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is suffering from cerebral palsy of right side since birth. It is also called seizure, hemiplegic type. Now she is 24 years old. Her right side of the body, right leg and right hand are not working properly. She walks with staggers with raised heel part of the right leg and ri...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter seems to have right hemiplegia and seizures. The way of walking with raised heel and right arm twisted is increased tone in right-sided limbs suggestive of spasticity and contracture. As you told that she is already on Tablet Eptoin (Phenytoin) 100 mg th...  Read Full »

After stroke, my left hand and leg are not functioning well. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 60 years old male. Before a year, I got a stroke. After recovering from it, my left side ear, hand, and leg are not functioning well. Please suggest.  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After a stroke, usually, recovery is maximum in initial three to six months. After that, you can have a slight improvement up to one to one and a half years. Some residual weakness usually persists. You need to do regular physiotherapy. Few patients develop spasticity, ...  Read Full »

What is the chance of getting ALS if someone in the family had it?
Query: Hello doctor,My grandfather died of ALS and now I am having signs of it. He is the only one that we know of that had it in the family. So my first question is what is the chances of me getting it? Second question is I twitch in my left arm, left hand, left leg, left calve non-stop. Sometimes I get i...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is familial in only 10 % of the cases. The diagnosis is mainly clinical (with characteristic symptoms). EMG AND NCS (nerve conduction studies) may help in the diagnosis, symptoms include: 1. fascicula...  Read Full »

My friend is suffering from neuropathic pain after a thalamic stroke. Please help.
Query: Hi doctor, My friend, who is a 48 years old female, suffered a CVA three years back. She was diagnosed with a right thalamic hemorrhagic stroke with pericardial effusion, left hemiparesis, autoimmune thyroiditis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ischemic unstable angina, grade 3 obesity, altered glucose...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thalamus is the part of the brain, through which all sensory information is relayed. After a stroke involving the thalamus, many times, the patient develops thalamic pain syndrome, which is very poorly responsive to medications. But as you told that it was relieved ...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of myelopathy associated with Hashimoto’s?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 59-year-old female who was diagnosed five years back with the rare I have not had an MRI scan or seen by a neurologist for a follow-up. Since I was diagnosed, I have not been given a prognosis of myelopathy associated with Hashimoto’s. I was paralyzed from the chest down ...  Read Full »
Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your illness. You are likely suffering from Hashimoto's myelopathy based on your description. It is rare condition and only a handful of cases have been described worldwide. It is known to be very steroid responsive and there should be a remarkabl...  Read Full »

Can you review my scans to see what is causing the various neurological symptoms?
Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic right leg spasticity, migraines, muscle pain, ataxia, nausea, vertigo, and pins and needles in hands and feet. Please, could you review my scans to see what is the cause of my various neurological symptoms? Is it cervical myelopathy or MS?  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are cervical disc problems at many levels and mild cervical spondylosis. There is a neural foraminal compromise and nerve root compression in C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7 cervical disc lev...  Read Full »

My constipation problem got worsened after undergoing cervical spine surgery. What can I do?
Query: Hi doctor, I suffer from severe constipation for the past three years. I have undergone cervical spine surgery before two years back. Post surgery constipation problem still got worsened. Presently, I am taking Baclofen 5 mg three times a day for the spasticity in legs. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Ana Karen Pulido
Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first option for treating constipation is starting with Sennosides tablets. Take two tablets every night. If there is no improvement in two days, you can take two tablets for every 12 hours. This medication can be taken for now and on. Sometimes you may need more fi...  Read Full »

Is brisk reflex a sign of PPMS?
Query: Hi doctor, I am getting brisk reflexes. I am scared of primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Please help.   Read Full »
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Brisk reflexes mean that the signals to the spinal cord are reduced. This can be due to any reasons. PPMS - primary progressive multiple sclerosis is one of the reasons fo...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Spasticity? We have medical experts to help you right away.