Swallowed Plastic

I swallowed a piece of plastic fork. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, About 9 hours ago, I swallowed a 1 inch piece of plastic fork. Will it damage my intestine, colon or anus? Or will it dissolve and pass through? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Plastic is inert and indigestible. Hence, it will pass down the digestive tract unabsorbed and unknowingly in the stool. However, if the fork tine you have consumed is sharp, then there is a probability of it getting stuck or piercing intestinal wall. If you have any symp...  Read Full »

9 months old child has swallowed balloon. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 months old and has swallowed balloon. Post that he had food. He had no breathing problem. Now he is sleeping. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please give the child laxative food like banana, rice, etc., to help the child pass stool. Usually, the balloon should come out from stools in 24 hours if it has gone into the stomach. It is less likely that it may have gone into the wind pipe because there is no bre...  Read Full »