Tmj Disorders

Why do I feel that the left side of my face is losing volume slowly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30-years-old male, and I am suffering from left trapezius aches and discomfort for five years. About three years ago, I noticed a dark cycle under my left eye. This concerned me so much. I began to research this, and I came across a condition called progressive hemifacial atrop...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the pictures you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Both the sides of your face are symmetrical, and there is no noticeable difference. Your case is not facial atrophy as there is no change in the face's features...  Read Full »

What is the relation between a TMJ issue and ear pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old male. I have facial pain, and I do not take any medications for the issue. I took an MRI. I need an opinion of my results of MRI brain. I am hoping to get a good look at my TMJ issues and any nerve issues. I got a report that said, few deep white matter T2 signal h...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It is normal but small hyperintensity may be due to decreased blood flow to the small areas in the brain. It might be due to migraine head...  Read Full »

Do pain in the cheeks near the ear, and pulse tinnitus indicate TMJ disorder?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had pain in my cheeks near my ear for the past year. I know it was from TMJ, so I tried to quiet it down with some exercises. I never went to the dentist until recently because of the COVID. Next thing about three months ago, I got pulse tinnitus in my ears the whole day, and I cont...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to ilciniq.com. The continuous jaw pain signifies even after a month that either your facial muscles and joints are tight or that you may be suffering from an underlying condition like osteoarthritis. The tightness of the joint or muscle accompanied by tinnitus may be what the dentist ...  Read Full »

Will X-ray not show fracture in the bone behind the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years ago front right central incisor pushed back 1 mm. I had a root canal done three months later. I had an X-ray from the dentist and also an endodontist. They said they could not see bone behind the tooth fractured at all. However, when I eat certain foods, I feel clicks and hear...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and shall try my best to get some solution. The clicking and popping you are mentioning might not necessarily be due to the bone behind the top teeth. It might be just due to some movement in your teeth only or maybe if there is some mal...  Read Full »

Can TMJ disorder cause pulsatile tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, Can TMJ disorder cause pulsatile tinnitus? I have had pulsatile tinnitus for six weeks. I also have a TMJ disorder. It hurts intermittently inside my ear and sometimes on the sides of my face. But my concern is about the 24/7 pulsatile tinnitus. I have had every test. MRI without contrast...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The oceanic noise which you feel you are hearing in your inner ear may have nothing to do with your TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. TMJ disorders usually produce clicking, grating or popping sounds along with tinnitus that increases in intensity over time or ag...  Read Full »

Is temporomandibular joint disorder related to pulsatile tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor,I have pulsatile tinnitus for six weeks. I have done MRI and CT angiography. But the doctor cannot find anything abnormal in the tests. I have TMJ disorder and I am trying to do exercise for my mouth. I am planning to get a mouthguard from the dentist. Kindly tell me whether pulsatile tinn...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Temperomandibular disorders do not cause pulsatile tinnitus. But temporomandibular joint can cause tinnitus and it occurs in association with the movement of TMJ. It does not cause pulsations. It should have some relationship with jaw movement by increasing or decre...  Read Full »

Can TMJ disorders cause neck and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I am experiencing fullness in the right jaw, heaviness in the right neck and shoulder that lasted for days. The symptoms have been there for years. Also, my right eyebrow is higher than the left, the right eye is bigger than the left, and overall the right face is longer and leaner than...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your OPG (orthopantomogram) and lateral cephalograms (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Definitely, there is some asymmetry on both sides, but it is not a severe problem because some symmetry is always there. But in both, ...  Read Full »