Tumor Marker

A metastasis has been found in the abdominal wall. How can primary cancer be found?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother-in-law has a small cancer in the epigastric abdominal wall with adenocarcinoma, metastatic. We are carrying out further tests including PET-CT scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CBC, and all the CA tests, but no primary cancer was found. Now, what will I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports of your mother-in-law (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like they have not yet completed the full work up. Biopsy from the abdominal wall nodule shows metastatic adenocarcinoma. So now, they must do upper GI en...  Read Full »

What does raised tumor marker indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is receiving breast cancer treatment for the past five years. Recently, she went for the blood test, and her results for tumor marker CA 15-3 has gone above 500 U/mL. Is it bad? Does her cancer got spread? I am concerned. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Cancer antigen 15-3 (CA 15-3) is a tumor marker. Its range is raised. It is alarming and highly suspicious to have the recurrence of the previously treated breast cancer. So it is better to repeat the test. So, she must consult her oncolog...  Read Full »