Low Cortisol

Related Terms: Cushing's Syndrome, Exercises, Reduce Weight, Hypertension, Blood Pressure Monitor, Low Salt Diet, Weight Reduction, Hirsutism

I am unable to lose weight although I eat less and be active. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41 year old female. I am having pretty bad acne, slight periods (almost like spotting), unable to lose weight. I gained 10 lbs extra in the past year. Although I am eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day and I am active, I am not losing. I did some blood and saliva tests and here a...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw each one of your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have more or less normal test results. A slightly low cortisol is acceptable. You certainly have low vitamin D levels and you must take vitamin D ...  Read Full »

Why am I having low BP and severe intolerance to stress?
Query: Hi doctor, I have severe intolerance to stress, low blood pressure, dehydration, hyperpigmentation and a lot of other troublesome symptoms. When I eat my face flushes and my heart rate goes up and my body sweats. I have carbohydrate intolerance as well. My skin is brown in color with a lot of freckl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keeping in light all the symptoms you have mentioned, you are most likely suffering from adrenal insufficiency. There are two types and the hyperpigmentation usually occurs in primary type also known as Addison's disease. I am taking the AM cortisol as low. I am not su...  Read Full »

What is an acceptable level of cortisol in someone with PTSD?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. What is the normal range of cortisol in a 24-hour collected urine probe? Is having too low cortisol levels in 24-hours collected urine probe a clinical matter? In the last six months, I had three urine testings with the account of cortisol between 10-12 &micr...  Read Full »
Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned why you got your urine cortisol levels checked. The normal cortisol levels vary between 10 to 100 micrograms and vary from one person to another and is affected by many factors. What are the symptoms you are experiencing? Are you having any sl...  Read Full »

I had an ACTH stimulation test today. Should I get any physical reaction when the ACTH is in?
Query: Dear Doctor, I had an ACTH stimulation test today. Should one get any physical reaction when the ACTH is in? If one have a physical reaction is that good or bad? Or do the people who do not get any reaction are the ones who get the bad results?  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for posting your query. There are certain side effects of ACTH stimulation tests (adrenocorticotropic hormone) like palpitations, sweating, anxiety and nausea. But these reactions may or may not happen in every person. If it does not happen, then it does not mea...  Read Full »

All my reports are normal but I still have gynecomastia. What could be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, I had prolactinoma diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism. I was treated with cabergoline and hydrocortisone for a few years and then taken off hydrocortisone when the adrenals began to function properly. My most recent blood tests came back normal, and I was tested for loads of other...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gynecomastia could be due to a testosterone deficiency, thyroid disorder or adrenal insufficiency in your case. Since your prolactin levels are normal and there is no further growth, it is no longer due to the prolactinoma. I would suggest you have your serum testoster...  Read Full »

May I know if synacthen test is accurate to check pituitary gland function?
Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with Cushing's disease, which caused a high level of cortisol before two years. The tumor size was 2 mm. I had surgery and the pituitary gland tumor was removed. Then, I am having a low level of cortisol and T4. After the operation, I am taking Hydrocortisone (10 mg or 5 ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your question. I have noted all your laboratory test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only doubt I want to clear is about the medicine. Did you mention cortisol PM part as after medicine? Which was the medicine you took? Was it H...  Read Full »

How Does Vitamin B3 Help Women During PMS?
Article Overview: There are thousands of women all around the world who are suffering from premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and looking for appropriate treatment. This article explains the role and exact dosage of vitamin B3 in PMS.  Read Article »
Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati

Some researches show that premenstrual syndrome (PMS) occurs due to some mineral and vitamin deficiency. Vitamin B3 is also referred as niacin and also as nicotinic acid. Metabolism is primarily regulated by vitamin B3. It also helps to maintain sex and stress hormones.  PMS means premenstrual ...  Read Article »

Why am I not losing fat even after exercise and diet?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 54 years old, female. I am having no fat loss at all. Even after excercise and proper diet plan. I am taking medication (inhaler) for asthma, nasal spray, and vaccines for allergy and Thyroxine for thyroid.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Common medical conditions that can lead to weight gain in spite of proper diet and exercise are thyroid disorders, polycystic ovarian syndrome and Cushing's syndrome and certain medicines. Since you are on Thyroxine and your thyroid is under contr...  Read Full »

Is there any epilepsy that does not cause physical seizures?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a wide array of mental symptoms for around nine years. Some years ago, I went to see a neurologist. He took an EEG, and found "epileptiform activity", I think in temporal lobes. So he said I have epilepsy and prescribed Valproate. He said my depersonalisation...  Read Full »
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. EEG (electroencephalogram)is not a diagnostic tool in itself. EEG can show abnormality in a normal person and also can be normal in epilepsy patients. Few EEG changes can be seen in normal and abnormal conditions. As you mentioned that your symptom is psychotic like,...  Read Full »

Of late, I have a lot of health issues including weight gain, hair loss, and easy bruising. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, and I weigh 185 lbs. I feel awful. Please tell me what you think may be wrong. Most of my adult life weight was 150 to 155 lbs. A sudden weight gain started five years ago. My weight is now always in the 175 to 185 range. I eat a...  Read Full »
Dr. Uphar Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and commend you for the detailed presentation. You appear to be suffering from Cushing's syndrome. You have probably consumed steroids as a supplement or for pain relief. You have achieved menopause at an early age, but still, we...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Low Cortisol? We have medical experts to help you right away.