Tummy Flu

Related Terms: Diarrhea, Gastroenteritis, Isabgol, Oral Rehydration Salts, Probiotics, Vomiting, Gastrointestinal Abnormality

Tummy Flu, a Common Stomach Problem (Gastroenteritis)
Article Overview: Gastroenteritis is a common condition encountered by almost everyone. Despite it being common there is a widespread lack of awareness regarding its common causes and especially regarding its treatment. This article is aimed at giving general public better understanding of this condition and its treatment.  Read Article »
Dr. Pir Muhammad Siddique

Gastroenteritis, commonly called the tummy flu or upset stomach is basically inflammation of the gut. It is a disease most commonly caused by viruses but can also be caused by some bacteria and rarely by parasites, antibiotics and other medications. Causative Organisms: Common viruses that cause g ...  Read Article »

Nothing seems to cure my stomach flu. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, A week ago, I woke up with an upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting and rotten egg burps. I suspect it was due to a dairy product that I ate a day earlier. A few hours later, I ate some pasta, and everything started over again with diarrhea, vomiting, and the rotten egg burps. The next day...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and they are within normal limits. Your description fits into acute gastroenteritis, that is, a stomach infection. My recommendations would be the following: A combination of Ofloxacin and Orni...  Read Full »

Watery Diarrhea - Not Always Due to Food Poisoning
Article Overview: Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) is one of the serious reasons for watery diarrhea.  Read Article »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

A person having watery diarrhea may think it is simply a tummy flu. But things can be even more serious than just a gastrointestinal tract infection. Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) means indigestion of food caused by the lack of digestive enzymes that normally are produced by the pancreas. ...  Read Article »

Can gastrointestinal infection last for three months?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male, and I am concerned about my health. I had an episode of possible food-borne illness, three months back. That time, I had shivers, fluttering pain in lower abdomen, fever, and high bilirubin. The symptoms have gone, except for occasional fluttering. My bilirubi...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely, it is gastroenteritis or stomach flu. Gastroenteritis is inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract that involves the stomach and small intestine. Signs and symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, backache, lack of energy, and dehydration. How...  Read Full »

I vomit if I drink too much liquid on an empty stomach. What could be the problem?
Query: Hi doctor, Nearly two years ago, I got a bad cold and vomited badly. It continued for days leading me unable to hold down any foods or liquids until I checked into the hospital and given IVs, which made me better. However, since then, I am more prone to getting close to vomiting if I drink too much...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The infection you are suffering from is called gastroenteritis or stomach flu. In gastroenteritis, the mucosa of the intestine is severely inflamed causing symptoms like loose stools, indigestion, and vomiting. The tests suggested are as follows: Ultrasound abdomen to ...  Read Full »

I feel nauseous after eating fast food. Is this food poisoning?
Query: Hi doctor, I had some fast food from the last two days, and I am feeling nauseous. I even vomited once, after which, I felt little better. I am feeling a bit better now, but the vomiting tendency is still there. I am also burping a lot, which has the same taste of the fast food. I do not feel like e...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your query, most likely, you have gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is inflammation of gastric mucosa. Most commonly, it is viral. Viral gastroenteritis usually limits itself to 7 to 10 days. But in your case, as it is already more than 10 days, I would advise you...  Read Full »

I am experiencing diarrhea, weakness, and fever. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing diarrhea, weakness, fever, and headaches. Whenever I drink or eat anything, I have loose motions. I feel this is a heat stroke. Can you please help?  Read Full »
Dr. Sujata Ganguly

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a case of acute gastroenteritis. A few other information will be helpful. Your age? How long have you been having these symptoms? Any vomiting? Any other pre-existing illness or medications? Did you eat anything from outside? Were you exposed to the sun f...  Read Full »

Can Hashimoto's disease cause enlarged lymph nodes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since four years. I take Eltroxin daily and go for a thyroid sonar once a year. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my report stated that my thyroid features are consistent with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, what reall...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you do have some enlarged lymph nodes. Yes, there are two possibilities but it is more likely that these are due to: The upper respiratory tr...  Read Full »

I have nausea, stomachache, gas and diarrhea. Is it stomach flu?
Query: Hello doctor, I got back from a trip yesterday, and have since had stomachache problems. I have had nausea, a stomachache (which sometimes feels like heartburn in my lower stomach), gas pains (that do not go away permanently), and a pretty severe loss of appetite (although I have gotten hungry and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you are describing are mostly suggestive of bacterial gastroenteritis (commonly called food poisoning), which is the bacterial infection of the intestine. Stool analysis and culture are required to confirm the diagnosis. Management is with antibiotics (...  Read Full »

Do you have a question on Tummy Flu? We have medical experts to help you right away.