Metoprolol Side Effects

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All the tests are fine. The cardiologist said your heart is normal. So, you do not have to worry. Tablet Metoprolol has been given for symptomatic relief for your palpitation. Probab...  Read Full »

I have been having palpitations on and off. Should I get a 30-day Holter monitor?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old Caucasian woman, 5 feet and 11 inches, 195 lbs and semi-active. My family has a history of heart problems. My mother, eldest brother, and father are all taking Metoprolol for heart arrhythmias and my maternal grandfather died of a heart attack at 55. My father also has ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports. The Holter shows runs of ill-sustained supraventricular tachycardia, possible atrial tachycardia, and a few ventricular premature beats. Ideally, Metoprolol would be good for you. But, since you are unable to tolerate it, I sugges...  Read Full »

Nowadays, I am not getting excited after masturbation. Will it be a side effect of Metoprolol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am taking Metoprolol succinate for three months for viral infection. My cardiologist said that the viral infection is almost gone, but I should keep taking the Metoprolol succinate for three more months that is overall six six months. Initially, I had 50 mg, and now...  Read Full »

Dr. Alon Seifan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Metoprolol will block the autonomic nervous system, which is the fight and flight response or the rest and digest response that we have when we get excited or relaxed. Feeling chills on our body is also controlled by the autonomic nervous system. So, it makes sense to me ...  Read Full »

Kindly guide me with the medicine to control diabetes.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old. My height is 167 cm and weight 100 kg. 11 years ago, I was diagnosed to have diabetes. The maximum score of my sugar was around 280 occasionally due to uncontrolled eating even with pills (DPP 4 and Metformin). Sometimes, I have overeating problem. My HbA1c is 6.5. My...  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, is this your BSL (blood sugar level) in fasting or 2 hours after food? I would firstly like to ask you whether you exercise and follow a strict diet or not. That is the most important aspect when you have diabetes. So, please exercise for at least 30 to 45 minut...  Read Full »

Is it possible to detect MVP through ECG and TMT?

Query: Hi doctor, For two years, I have been suffering from MVP (mitral valve prolapse). Then, I have undergone ECG and TMT, but no MVP detected. But, I was advised to take the tablets given for MVP, which includes Metolac-ER 50 and Dothimax 25. Will these tablets cause any side effects?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mitral valve prolapse cannot be detected on ECG - electrocardiogram or a TMT - treadmill test unless has very advanced and causing severe problems. It can be picked up by an echocardiogram, which is a heart ultrasound. Now coming back to your medications, Dothimax (...  Read Full »