Postpartum Thyroiditis

My thyroid level is fluctuating after delivery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had postpartum thyroiditis with my first child and it presented again with second child at 7 months postpartum. I am dealing with anxiety, higher than normal heart rate, fatigue and trouble sleeping. During previous PPT, I could not tolerate medicines and it resolved when my child was 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration of the cycle that is normal is 23 to 35 days. So, anything in between these days is actually normal. After delivery, cycles tend to be irregular for a year or so and hence, no medicines are required during this period. Your thyroid-stimulating hormone is nor...  Read Full »

Is high TSH after delivery a sign of postpartum thyroiditis?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife, who is 29 years old, had symptoms of tiredness and dry skin. So, we tested her thyroid function. I found that her serum TSH level was 150 as well as free T4 below normal. Is this symptom of hypothyroidism? She delivered a baby seven months ago and the test was done recently. She ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sakthivel Sivasubramanian

Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be postpartum thyroiditis or unmasking of autoimmune hypothyroidism. As it is most likely to be the latter, kindly start her on Thyroxine 75-100 mcg once daily (Levothyroxine) depending upon her weight. Check TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), FT4 (...  Read Full »

Why thyroid levels are high after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, We have started seeing thyroid in my wife after her delivery before three months. We can see a mild swelling in her throat. After thyroid test we came to know that values were not in range, all have exceeded too much. We are afraid and do not know what will happen. Please find attache...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw her reports, and it appears that she has postpartum thyroiditis. She can start tablet Carbimazole (Neo-Mercazole) 5 mg twice daily for four weeks and then repeat her thyroid function test to adjust her dose further. I hope you find my advice beneficial.  Read Full »

My wife has gained weight post pregnancy. How to reduce it?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 20 years old. Her weight is 59.5 kg and height is 4'9". Our baby is 15 months. His diet includes breastfeeding and solid food. My wife has post pregnancy overweight, especially in belly, buttocks and thighs. She eats a lot, but feels tired, exhausted and sleepy.  Read Full »

Dr. Sanchari Majumder

Nutritionist, Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, you should do proper diagnosis of your wife. This problem may be due to stress, hyperthyroid and vitamin D deficiency. Proper diet with exercise help your wife to make her body reshape if the above tests are normal. You did not mention the type of delivery. Is ...  Read Full »