Rib Cage Pain

Why do I get severe rib pain while taking deep breathe and standing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having severe rib pain since this morning and it hurts when I stand up straight or when I move or lay down. I tried putting a heating pad and ice pack on it and did not do anything. I feel extreme discomfort, cannot take deep breathes, and feel sharp stabbing pain once in a while...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many conditions where we can get chest pain along with ribs pain. I would like to ask a few questions. Is that pain on costochondral junction which means if you palpate your ribs you can feel there is one gap and then the other rib is started. So pain in th...  Read Full »

Will Ankylosing spondylitis cause pain in lower ribs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain around my lower ribs towards the back side (left side) since the past eight days. The pain gets worse while lying down and trying to change sides in the night. It also hurts while sneezing or coughing (feels better if I cough or sneeze by holding the area with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the light of the fact that you are HLA B27 positive, the pain that you are experiencing is due to the same problem. This is called enthesitis, and it occurs due to inflammation at the attachment of muscles to bones. So the treatment also remains similar to that of AS...  Read Full »

What is the reason for left ribcage pain and chest discomfort in my diabetic mother?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 55 years old. She is taking Jalra-M for diabetes and Thyronorm 50 mg for thyroid daily. Her diabetes is under control with her HbA1C also under control. We had the tests four months back. Her fasting sugar is around 100 mg/dL. About 25 days back, she had a pain on the le...  Read Full »

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Cardiologist, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Neurologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have neither mentioned the duration of diabetes, latest fasting, PP (post prandial) blood sugar levels, HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) value or the latest TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels. Please furnish the required information, as well as, her BP (blood pr...  Read Full »

What to do for pain in the back and ribcage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bad pain in the middle and left part of my back which is also affecting my lower left ribcage. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned persistent upper back pains with radiation to the rib cage which could be due to a lot of reasons including disc-related issues. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc. then you can start w...  Read Full »

Does radiating pain from abdomen to left side of ribs suggest pancreatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old female. Last night out of nowhere I started having a pain suddenly under my ribs on the left side. About an hour later pain developed in my upper back on the left side. I did not fall or lift or hit anything that would cause this pain. Currently, there is no nausea ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read through your concern. The pain what you experience may not be due to pancreas as you feel as usually it will get referred to the right side. There is something like spasm between your intercoastal muscles that will lead to same symptoms and pain that you descr...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for severe pain in the left middle rib?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having severe left middle rib pain for about a month and now it is always hurting. I had an upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, left kidney CT scan, gallbladder ultrasound, blood work, and HIDA scan and found nothing, but I have a torturous colon. The pain gets pretty bad and I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems to be an inflammation of one or more of the cartilages that connect the ribs to the breastbone. It is a condition called Tietze syndrome (when there is a swelling over the painful area) or costochondritis (no swelling, only pain). This con...  Read Full »

What causes pain under left rib cage when bending over?

Query: Hello doctor, Every time I am sitting down and taking a deep breath, the left side of my rib cage hurts. Even when I bend over to take a deep breath, it stills hurts and it only happens when I am sitting down, bending over or I am laying on the left side. What could this be? It also feels a little ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  According to your complaints, I think you might have a sore cartilage between the ribs also known as costochondritis unless and until ruled out. If you recently did some heavy workout, lifted something heavy or had a hit on the left part, then the chances of having a...  Read Full »

I am getting some pulling pain under my ribs and back. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,For the past two days, I am getting the pain under my right rib cage slightly under the chest and even back under the shoulder. It does not pain usually, but the pain remains there. But when I am laughing, it hurts like something is pulling, and the pain increases. What could it be and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Harshul Gohel

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history is suggestive of muscular pain. But it should also to rule out any cardiac cause. I will give you some medication, if you did not find any improvement, you consult a cardiologist for a complete cardiac profile, or I will provide you with some tests that ...  Read Full »