Stammering Etiology

Why do I stammer while speaking in front of a crowd?

Query: I m 32 yr old male no co morbids doctor by profession working Nephrologist. Since childhood i have stammering problem. Not always but when speaking infront of mob. Or when giving presentation. Or when history taking from patient. Or reading book chapter infront of whole class. When ever i think of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello sir, Am glad to help you as a Speech therapist. Mostly the more you get relaxed the better result you get. Some relaxation exercises like one word one tap and reducing rate of speech, open mouth approach, changing your suprasegmental aspect of speech will help a lot. Don't anticipate an...  Read Full »

Is stammering a genetic problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whet...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated. The hereditary component is not the only thing that is i...  Read Full »

Why does my 4.3 years old son find it difficult to speak fluently?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4.3 years old. He sometimes finds it difficult to speak fluently, especially in the beginning of a sentence and when he is excited. Most of the time he speaks the entire sentence very clearly, without any difficulty. I am attaching his audio and video recording clips. Wha...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have heard the attached voice recordings (attachment removed to protect patient privacy). The child is stammering. His pronunciation is fine, but the problem is with fluency. It can be due to anxiety. The child might be afraid of performance. There can be psychological...  Read Full »