Stammering Etiology

Why do I stammer while speaking in front of a crowd?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 32-year-old male. Since childhood, I have stammering problems. It does not happen always. But when I start speaking to someone in front of others or when giving a presentation, I start to have tachycardia, palpitations, chest pain, headache, and sweating. I also have constipation. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Be relaxed. You get better results while being relaxed. Some relaxation exercises like one word one tap and reducing the rate of speech, open mouth approach, and changing your suprasegmental aspect of speech will help a lot. Do not anticipate and use the technique. In t...  Read Full »

Is stammering a genetic problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in love with a girl, and we got permission from both the family for our marriage. But, my parents are in some hesitation as my girlfriend's mother is stammering. My parents think that if we both get marriage and our child also could get this stammering problem. I want to know whet...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stammering has got a multiple etiology and pathogenesis. A hereditary component in this has been extensively studied. A recent study was done including 12 children, and 5 generations of the family were investigated. The hereditary component is not the only thing that is i...  Read Full »

Why does my 4.3 years old son find it difficult to speak fluently?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 4.3 years old. He sometimes finds it difficult to speak fluently, especially in the beginning of a sentence and when he is excited. Most of the time he speaks the entire sentence very clearly, without any difficulty. I am attaching his audio and video recording clips. Wha...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have heard the attached voice recordings (attachment removed to protect patient privacy). The child is stammering. His pronunciation is fine, but the problem is with fluency.It can be due to anxiety. The child might be afraid of performance. There can be psychological c...  Read Full »