Tonsilopharyngitis

My sore throat pains with something stuck in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I have a sore throat for two weeks now and I am in my sixth-day of antibiotics (Dalacin C) but it is not going away. I feel that there is something stuck inside my throat/esophagus. I have a mild headache but no fever. Pain scale is ranging 4-6 out of ten. I also...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your history and it seems on top of the acute tonsillopharyngitis, you also have GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease). This may explain the persistent throat discomfort in spite of taking the antibiotic for six days. I recommend you continue yo...  Read Full »

What are the conditions that cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are: Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. Chronic bronchitis. Bronchiectasis. Pulmonary tuberculosis. Malignant pathology...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your symptoms and looking at your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggesting of chronic pharyngitis with chronic tonsillitis. The whitish spots over your tonsils are the food particles that clogged within the tonsillar c...  Read Full »

Swollen tonsils are making me gag. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I possibly had mono five months ago. I did not get it confirmed with a test though. I felt better in two months. However, I was stressed a few weeks ago as I got a lump going from my uvula to my tonsil on one side of my mouth. I initially thought it was an allergy and left it...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a throat infection. It is tonsillitis with granular pharyngitis.The tonsils, as well as the lymphoid tissues of the posterior pharyngeal wall, are enlarged and infected. I suggest the following: A course of antibiotics like Amoxyclav 1 g (a combination of Am...  Read Full »

I have severe throat pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I feel as though I may have Streptococcus infection or tonsillitis. I have been fine healthwise. All of a sudden this morning I woke up with severe throat pain. I am Type A Streptococcus. When I had Streptococcus infection, my lymph nodes never hurt too much and they were never too swolle...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition you have is URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) with odynophagia (pain on swallow). It includes GAS (group A Streptococcus) causing tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis. It is an infectious disease and usually a childhood disease. Recurrent strep...  Read Full »

Why do I always get blocked nose once I come home?

Query: Hi doctor, For around six months, I am suffering with my nose allergy. When I go outside for a drive or something, I am fine without any problem with my nose. But, once I come home from outside, it is difficult for me to break by nose. I get blocked nose sometime one side nose and sometime both side...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. Looking at the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and with the description you have given I can understand how agonizing it is for you with these problems. According to my assessment you suffer from allergic rhinitis and c...  Read Full »

Does my sore throat look like strep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from sore throat. Three days ago, it initially started with pain and the redness appeared shortly after. I have had strep about three times now. It hurts when I yawn and swallow. I feel a little dry even though I have been gargling with water. I woke up this morning with a ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are happy to help you. With the details you have provided and the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I have come to the conclusion that you are having an acute tonsillopharyngitis. This is the infection of pharynx (upper part of...  Read Full »

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full »