Tuberculosis Of The Spine.

Whom should we consult for my mom's bone TB?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is a CKD patient and undergoes dialysis. For the past two months, she is having a back pain. On visiting an orthopedician, he suggested an MRI of dorsal spine, which shows D5-D6 eroded and the doctor is suspecting a bone TB. So, I am concerned about which doctor to approach. Shoul...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your confusion in today's world of information. I think the best option is to approach a spine surgeon, who can get an appropriate biopsy. Based on the biopsy, further specialist can be decided. Because, bone erosion could also be due to non-tuberculosis d...  Read Full »

What is the recommended course of action for high CRP level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Potts disease, and after two months, my C-reactive protein has gone from 48 to 96. What further course of action should I take?  Read Full »

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your Pott's disease, I assume, is being treated with an anti-tuberculosis drug cocktail (dosage accurately adjusted according to your body weight). The spine surgeon can decide on healing and response to treatment based on your clinical response like a decrease in...  Read Full »

Is it right to have surgery for the compression present with bone tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has bone tuberculosis. He has compression in D4-D5. He is bedridden now. Currently, he is taking medicine for TB. Is it necessary to do surgery or not? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is known as pott's spine. There is a presence of tuberculosis in the spine. It is managed by taking ATT (antituberculosis medication). It is not good to have surgery duri...  Read Full »

Diagnosed as Pott’s spine in the L4-L5 region. Severe pain in back as well in the right leg. What to do next?

Query: Hello doctor, Fourteen months ago, my wife went through a C-section delivering a baby girl. After 15 days of surgery, she started feeling lower backache with very local pain in bending, sneezing and coughing. Initially, we thought it is a post-cesarean effect. As she was breastfeeding the baby, she...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She has Pott's spine that is tuberculosis of the spine and the treatment duration for this is 18 months. Now, the symptom you have mentioned suggests that she has got severe compression of the nerves of the back aggravated by a jerk. In such scenario, she need...  Read Full »

Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old male, and I met my uncle in the ICU today, who is suffering from central nervous system tuberculosis. I met him for ten minutes, and I talked and shook hands. Now, I am worried about getting infected from him. Is CNS tuberculosis a communicable disease? What are the cha...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Central nervous system tuberculosis as such cannot be transmitted to a healthy young male like you. Pulmonary tuberculosis is a communicable disease. It is very unlikely to get the disease. Do not worry. For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --&g...  Read Full »

For spinal TB, should we go for surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother, who is 27 years old, has been suffering from back pain for the last nine months. Nine months ago, in the first MRI, the doctor told us it is a slipped disc. We took it lightly. He had painkillers, and due to excessive use of painkiller, he had a stomach ulcer. Now, the ulcer ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the scenario well. If it was only a spinal involvement, then we could have given only medicines and weighted for improvement. But here it is both, spinal involvement and abscess also (attachment removed to protect patient identity). An abscess is a collecti...  Read Full »

What does my mother's CT scan suggest about her back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been having back pain in the area of ribs for the past three months. She had a CT chest, which showed lytic lesions in D9, D10, and L1. She also had a PET-CT. Her ESR, CBP, RFT and LFTs are normal.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The history of a chronic backache for three months with CAT scan showing lytic lesions and histology (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggestive of granulomatous inflammatory changes suggest mostly tuberculosis of the spine. The patient has to take antitub...  Read Full »